Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 86’ trx250r I haven’t ran it in a while need some help. I put new Spark plug and the spark plug is getting spark. I cleaned out the carb and cleaned the Jets. Took the fuel tank and air filter off to clear out the lines. By passed the fuel tank by adding a little fuel while kicking. It’ll turn but it’s not firing any thoughts and ideas?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Try starter fluid, if it starts on starter fluid you have a fuel problem.
Replace jets. On more then one occasion I have looked at jets and thought they were ok and They were not ok.

You may have also flooded it. Try starting with choke only no throttle. If it does not start try just cracking the throttle.

If you become convinced it is flooded hold throttle wide open while kicking.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I honestly wouldn't use starting fluid in a 2stroke engine. Especially if it has a fueling issue. Starting fluid doesn't have any lubrication in it at all. Have you checked your compression? The piston rings could be stuck from sitting, the reeds might not be sealing. I had an engine sit for a year and a half and when I tried to start it it would fire. It also kicked over way too easily. I sprayed wd40 down the spark plug hole and left it over night. Came out to the shop the next morning and kicked it over about 30 times before it fired. Ran like crap for a couple minutes then was fine. I did a compression test on it after the engine cooled and was back where it was supposed to be.
Loren

·
Registered
214 Posts
I honestly wouldn't use starting fluid in a 2stroke engine. Especially if it has a fueling issue. Starting fluid doesn't have any lubrication in it at all. Have you checked your compression? The piston rings could be stuck from sitting, the reeds might not be sealing. I had an engine sit for a year and a half and when I tried to start it it would fire. It also kicked over way too easily. I sprayed wd40 down the spark plug hole and left it over night. Came out to the shop the next morning and kicked it over about 30 times before it fired. Ran like crap for a couple minutes then was fine. I did a compression test on it after the engine cooled and was back where it was supposed to be.
Loren

·
Registered
74 Posts
Loren
I respect your opinion, everyone has there own thinking process. I will say I don’t believe and have never heard any scenario where a shot of starter fluid nuked the bike. Perhaps there are some instances out there but messing with two strokes for 35 years I have never seen it.
Granted you don’t want to use it repeatedly, or to try and keep it running, but if you kick/start the bike and it fires for a few seconds on starter fluid then you narrow the possible problems.

Regardless I appreciate the dialogue, that’s how we all learn.

·
Registered
12,879 Posts
I have a 86’ trx250r I haven’t ran it in a while need some help. I put new Spark plug and the spark plug is getting spark. I cleaned out the carb and cleaned the Jets. Took the fuel tank and air filter off to clear out the lines. By passed the fuel tank by adding a little fuel while kicking. It’ll turn but it’s not firing any thoughts and ideas?
If it has a Spark, and won't start (even for a second or two) with a table spoon of Fuel (or a shot of Starter Fluid) down the spark plug hole; then it's most likely one of the following:

Cracked or broken reeds
Shorted CDI
Shorted Stator
Sheared keyway or flywheel moved out of location
Bad Pick up Coil or pickup or loose, broken mount
Bad Spark Plug (porcelain cracked, loose, shorted)...yes even if new....they will still spark for a second, won't retain spark to start
No Fuel Flow

Carlos

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks everyone! Sorry super late getting back. We bump started it down the hill next to my house. Thanks for all the inputs. Great info for me to use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts