Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be getting cold soon in SW Ohio usually doesnt get really cold until December or January . How long will Klotz be ok mixed with gas ? I heard it separates from the gas in colder weather does it have to be below freezing ? Should I drain the gas tank and carb dry if Im not going to ride it for awhile? ? Not to worried about the coolant its in the garage so it shouldnt get that cold . I would still like to ride it if it snows this winter .thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
if it's pump ethanol gas just drain it.the gas looses it's octane in weeks let alone months.and the ethanol also attracts moisture and is bad for the carb and lines.

·
Registered
208 Posts
First which Klotz mix? BeNol? Myself I'd start the bike get it warm and kill it with the choke to its good and rich to coat everything before I drain the gas or leave it 100% full.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Main thing is gas going bad, which happens after 6 weeks. Sta-bil can prevent (but not transform bad gas back into good gas). If you do that, you don't have to drain the carbs and tank, but if it sits for too long the gas in the carbs will evaporate. So its best to start it every so often or you could drain the carbs, or open the tank valve for a few seconds to fill the carb bowl.

·
Registered
55 Posts
We go through this routine every season on 2 stroke jet skis that sit over the winter but the same process applies to atvs/motorcycles that sit for any period. Pump gas is terrible these days with the ethanol added that will etch aluminum so definitely drain the carb. Fogging oil sprayed in the fuel valve inlet on the carb keeps the moisture away and things lubed up in the carb bowl. Pull the spark plug and spray fogging oil for about 3 secs down the cylinder and rotate the kickstarter a few times to lube the cylinder walls/crank/bearings from rust. Also get a syringe with a small hose, insert 1 ounce of 2 stroke plain jane petroleum NOT synthetic oil down the spark plug hole and slowly rotate the kickstarter again. Rust pitting is the biggest enemy on crank bearings that sit over time, having a nice layer of oil on the top/bottom end of the motor keeps the corrosion away. Finally get a rubber plug or just grab a bunch of plastic bags from the grocery store and wad them up in a ball and stuff it inside the pipe or silencer hole also to keep moisture out of the motor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts