Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just blew the motor of my 88, I know the cause was a coolant leak from the water pump cover, but the coolant was white, what does that mean?

·
Super Moderator
2,363 Posts
Id imagine there is crankcase oil and coolant mixed together..

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like water pump mechanical seal went bad
I replaced mine not even 3 months ago, could it be because I'm riding almost every day? I do oil changes pretty frequently, either way, im gonna get the jug honed out and a completely new water pump

·
Registered
409 Posts
This has been my problem with my 250r I keep blowing the water pump seal, and it all mixes together. I parked my R until I figure out what I want to do next with this thing.

·
Registered
393 Posts
If the mechanical seal is not installed with the utmost care and finesse you can crack the seal. Even if the crack is minute it will still fail. I always use a press to install the seal. I do not just grab a socket and beat it in with a hammer (not saying anyone does). Also be sure you install the oil seal correctly (consult your manual) and use a little lube before you run the shaft through the seal. These are the steps I take to ensure my water pump works correctly.
Loren

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the mechanical seal is not installed with the utmost care and finesse you can crack the seal. Even if the crack is minute it will still fail. I always use a press to install the seal. I do not just grab a socket and beat it in with a hammer (not saying anyone does). Also be sure you install the oil seal correctly (consult your manual) and use a little lube before you run the shaft through the seal. These are the steps I take to ensure my water pump works correctly.
Loren
I see, thanks Loren, I guess I'll have to ask my buddy for his seal puller, cause thats exactly what I did with my seal, hopefully its just the seal and not that cylindrical piece the seal goes around

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
I replaced mine not even 3 months ago, could it be because I'm riding almost every day? I do oil changes pretty frequently, either way, im gonna get the jug honed out and a completely new water pump
Don't just hone a cylinder out; measure bore, or have it measured accurately, then bore and hone to following size. You will see cylinders that have any amount of run time, will be out of round, oversized, and just honing to clean up puts you way over bore size limits.

It goes in rubber side up, right?
All OEM 250R seals go open side in, or side with spring towards the center of the engine or cases….all open sides facing inwards

UPDATE: I thought my dad was lying when he said I was gonna have a love hate relationship with my R
All "love' in the 250R World....:)

Carlos

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't just hone a cylinder out; measure bore, or have it measured accurately, then bore and hone to following size. You will see cylinders that have any amount of run time, will be out of round, oversized, and just honing to clean up puts you way over bore size limits.

All OEM 250R seals go open side in, or side with spring towards the center of the engine or cases….all open sides facing inwards

All "love' in the 250R World....:)

Carlos
Hahah, "love", I took it to the machine shop, and they said the max i could do, without the walls being too thin was 69.50 at the max, so I ordered the piston kit, and just to be safe I ordered a new impeller and shaft, also, if that thin cylindrical piece that the ms goes around is bent, could that be a reason as to why oil leaks into the coolant and vice versa?

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
Hahah, "love", I took it to the machine shop, and they said the max i could do, without the walls being too thin was 69.50 at the max, so I ordered the piston kit, and just to be safe I ordered a new impeller and shaft, also, if that thin cylindrical piece that the ms goes around is bent, could that be a reason as to why oil leaks into the coolant and vice versa?
Yes, the MS needs to be installed straight, pressed all the way down evenly. They are somewhat fragile, and easy to mess up.

As suggested; use a press to install…. being very careful to keep straight.

Carlos

1 - 13 of 13 Posts