Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I'm just running an 86 frame, 86 oem swingarm, and a pep oem revalve. I'm looking for a better launch off a jump, and a better holeshot. With 14/37 gearing I'm blowing the tires off and can't get the front tires in the air even if I try. As far as jumping goes, I have to carry way more speed than I do on my 4 stroke to get the same distance. It's like the suspension is treating jumps like whoops and soaking it up. What would be a better swingarm/link/shock setup to go with the 86 oem frame? Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
618 Posts
I believe the preferred swingarm length for mx on any R is either 18.5" or 17.5" center to center.

86/87 stock length is 19.5 inches which moves weight to the front. In 88 and 89 they shortened the swingarm 1" to 18.5" which changed the balance some more to the rear so they ride and fly more true.

As for shock and linkage... Tim Farr raced stock chassis and linkage bikes well after the aftermarket setups came out. It helped that his mechanic was Mark Baldwin, but it goes to show that it comes down to proper suspension setup, tuning, and adjustment.

I run a !7.5" swingarm on both my chassis, but its no link so a whole different animal, but its nice with the swingarm length at what it is.

If you want to dabble into the world of a shorter swingarm, i have a 86/87 18.5" lonestar swingarm for sale in the for sale section that should work well for your bike.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Well I hada 89 stock frame so I think you need a 88-89 swingarm length, with a 14/38 or 39 gearing, 18x10x8 rear tires and 8" rear beadlocks. And your ride height needs to be at 7 in the rear and 7 1/4 front when sitting on it. What a-arms do you have and front shocks too, and what all is done to your motor, 2nd gear holeshot is a normal and so on.

·
Registered
987 Posts
On my 86/87 frame i run -1 swing arm which is the same length as a 89 length arm. I also use the linkage from a 89 to match. It is shorter then the 86/87 linkage. My shock is a stock rebuild from TCS. My rear wheels are 8x8 wraped in 18x10x8the turf tamers. I run stock gearing 13/39.
My axle is a LS set with all spacers at +4.

Ill post a picture later. Posting from my fone sucks.

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
shorter swinger will give you more hookup. for sure

was the PEP revalve done for you? or just done before you got the bike?

rear shock setup has alot to do with setting up for the jumps.

ZPS suspension is very common for MX/Arena cros because it stays flat until you unload the suspension.

if i was going to look into the suspension first i would set the race sag, preload, and play with the setting that you have.

the new changes i would make are -1 swinger or 88-89 length, ZPS(zero preload system) suspension front and rear. and have the shocks adjusted to your weight by a suspension pro.

Moving up to a shock with more adjust ability (OEM has a narrow window of adjustment) with a larger piston diameter will really give you a lot more. (by this i mean Ultracross, AXIS, PEP, Elka Stage 4, Fox, etc.) if you do go aftermarket make sure you get the right length (16.75" for OEM swinger), and you get full adjust ability Compression, Rebound and High Low speed can really help you dial in the bike.

if you buy used expect to send into the suspension experts as used shocks for me are never valved right. so call the person who you will send the shock to and ask the price to setup for you riding style.

there's a reason i have 4-5 aftermarket rear shocks in my garage as you grow older suspension really makes a difference.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So does an 88/89 length swingarm and stock linkage seem to be the best option for a stock frame? What about the 04/05 450r setup? Thats about the same length as 88/89, but with a different style link. Has anybody here tried modifying an 86 frame to run a no-link setup?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Let's living out up. I have a stock 87 oem frame, and a lsr or leager swinger still yet to be determined. But since I'm running ok oem 87 frame with a no link swinger. My shock size should be about 15.½ 15¾. Would you have any forsale.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts