Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a 330 set up but dont know what to get power valve or not power valve cilynder. What is the application for each? I do a little of sand drag and woods.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Here's my two cents. The more displacement you have, the less you need a power valve. On smaller displacement engines, a power valve helps with low end grunt when closed and allows for more top end when it opens up. Since a big bore already has low end grunt (even when ported for top end), it doesn't need a power valve. A power valve also tends to even out the power delivery, whereas a non-power valve will typically have a stronger hit. If you like a distinct hit in power and have the skill to ride on it, I'd recommend a non-power valve for a big bore. Plus you won't have to bother with cleaning a power valve.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here's my two cents. The more displacement you have, the less you need a power valve. On smaller displacement engines, a power valve helps with low end grunt when closed and allows for more top end when it opens up. Since a big bore already has low end grunt (even when ported for top end), it doesn't need a power valve. A power valve also tends to even out the power delivery, whereas a non-power valve will typically have a stronger hit. If you like a distinct hit in power and have the skill to ride on it, I'd recommend a non-power valve for a big bore. Plus you won't have to bother with cleaning a power valve.
What about someone like me who would be more interested in a smaller 310 setup who does mostly woods/state trails/GNCC type riding?

·
Registered
610 Posts
What about someone like me who would be more interested in a smaller 310 setup who does mostly woods/state trails/GNCC type riding?
If you spend most of your time below half throttle, pulling hard out of corners, etc., you might want a power valve. It will give you more low end grunt and will be more forgiving if you get off the pipe.

·
Super Moderator
2,276 Posts
When I got my original 420 from ESR I had my cylinder built with a power valve. When I had it rebuilt and ported by BDT I had them block it off. It makes so much torque and it’s geared and jetted spot on it’s a beast from 1/8 - full throttle, out of a corner in a straight line or up a hill.

I would suggest you opt for no power valve. That’s my opinion...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts