Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved my 430 puma from led was wondering what sizes motors most people go to, to have a competitive drag bike. And How well u think the 430 will stack up.

·
Registered
399 Posts
My .02 - the Sabers are too damned expensive to build not to mention the loss of reliability when compared to the Puma. Puma is the ONLY way to go for a person with limited funds and wants/needs the reliability.
Quite honestly with the cost of these things, 99% of the people that have R's can't afford to buy a Puma anyway. There's always going to be someone bigger and badder than you. If you're a weekend warrior and can win 98% of the races I'd say that's darned good. :) Guys like me (350PV) are going to roll up alongside you and look down and think "awwww damnit this ain't good" lol

Off the subject, but you had LED install a lockout clutch right? Those stupid things are a PIA to get to work right. Seems no two bikes are a like. When you get that dyno'd ensure there's no clutch slippage. I followed the instructions to the T when I installed mine and when it went on the dyno the damn thing fell flat on it's face. Arlan measured, re-measured, did some head scratching and then saw the clutch rod was too long. He's had others that required the basket itself be turned down more/less than the directions call for (with known good clutch plates). They seem to be all over the place.

Reactions: aka2slow

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
430 puma's are awesome motors, but they can be built many ways.
The rest of the bike is also a consideration from tires,swing arm,weight,gearing and whether or not you have a override trans.
someone that has a well tuned chassis can out run many larger more powerfull setups if they are poorly setup for the application they are using it for.
example being a MX style bike that has a short swing arm,heavy duty a-arms, mx shocks,skid plates,nerfbars, bumpers, full fenders, hd axle, front brakes...........
against a stripped down stretched light weight drag chassis running a overide trans.

but if you set that 430 up right it will be very competive even with many cub cylinder banshees

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Arlen dyno it for me he said he had to adjust the lockout some hopefully its right im gunna go try it this weekend

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
suspension and traction are a huge roll in getting it to go forward in an efficient manner.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
suspension and traction are a huge roll in getting it to go forward in an efficient manner.
Yup...as important as the engine build.

The Puma at 431Cc or a "Super Puma" at +440CC is a good combination, one capable of some top HP. Don't ignore the 363CC Sphynx. The new cylinders are putting out HP in the low end of the Puma range, not bad for a less costly build with more reliabilty than a cylinder over 400CC.

Saber's are a great build, just a lot more costly. We have a Liger on order and will be building a Liger 250R for an overseas customer...should be interesting.

Carlos

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
We have a customer with a thick wallet that wants one built. I have talked to Calvin about getting a Liger cylinder, we will adapt the OEM cases to accept the massive cylinder, it will have a Billet Trans, a Billet Custom Made Crank, as well as many other specialty parts.

Carlos

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I thought Calvin had updated the saber a year or so ago, seams like that would have been allot easier without havering to move the studs in the cases.
Seen a picture of a liger/lt500 that had the relocated studs break away
Probably the biggest advantage to the liger well be the option of the 102mm piston but with a motor that over square in terms of bore to stroke ratio I feel will not perform all that great relative to its size.
But it sounds very interesting hopefully this will not be a secret squirrel build and lots of pics will be done because I would love to follow it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sorry to hijack but whats a lockout clutch and override trans? And the liger?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Chassis set up is what most people miss out on. If I put my old 350 gas motor into my chassis right now, and took it to the hill, I would make most Puma's in stock chassis look silly. Not cause the motor is anything to write home about, rather it would gate and you would have a hard time catching me.

rsss396 is correct when he says a nicely built Puma in a chassis will run with cub banshee's...

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Liger cylinder is the CP Industries cylinder for the cr500 motor with pistons from 97mm to 102mm and room to go to 106mm

Overide transmission allows for full throttle no clutch shifts just pull up on the shifter and it pops in the next gear. But they are drag only setups you can not backload them or they will bend the shift forks, back loading is letting off the gas and coasting.

Lockout clutchs add extra force to the clutch's pressure plate as rpms increase some use balls others use arm weights like a snowmobile clutch.

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
lockouts are not need until above 350cc

·
Banned
1,209 Posts
Ligar is an aftermarket cyl made by cpi they make the pumas sabers and pro x
Override trans allow you to shift full throttle with out the use of the clutch drag racing only
Lock out clutch. It adds pressure to your cluthes for a reduced or no slip set up. Again used for drag racing or hp quads

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Liger is a CR500R cylinder made by CP Industires.

Lock-out clutch is a clutch system that uses positive pressure (ususally by fingers with added weight) to engage the clutch plates, reduces clutch slippage, wear and puts power to the rear wheels.

Over-ride Trans for a 250R's are ususally 1-4, N down...power shift from 1-4, Drag application transmissions.

Carlos

·
Registered
139 Posts
Cool didnt know that stuff was available for Rs.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Carlos build one of these Twin_CR500 or a twin 250

1 - 19 of 19 Posts