Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've been looking for a 250r for a while now and finally bought one. Now as everyone else likes to know did I get a good deal? I've never owned a 250 till now. My buddy had one that I rode once and I felt this was me so I Had to buy one. So all I kno or shall I say I was told the thing a 87 lonestar gusseted frame is bored out to 272. It has a tc motor and is stroked I beleive 5mm. Lonestar +2 out +1 forward a arms 400 ex hubs/spindles lonestar swing arm lonestar steering stem +2 durablue axle 450 rims Stock shocks. And some little miscellaneous alluminum bolt ons. The quad seems to be very clean. I was told these things eat 450s and that this one would but It seems to rip but hasn't made me a beleiver. All my fellow quad owner Buddha have 450s and I wanna have a quad that will make then change there views on 2 strokes. It's bogs and 4th and 5th with wot. I'm new to the 250s and would like to kno wat exactly I have and need help figuring out what I can do with what I have before I got out and buy a big bore or a 500cc motor for it. I've had a blaster banshees and a couple of bikes but always had maint. Done at the shop. Now it's time to learn about these things but I kno these bike a very compadible with dif things. Im sure first off the frames and motor would have to be determined what yr they are but idk how to tell the difference. So some hints where to start would be great. I will try to get some pics up tonight. The help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
590 Posts
Danto, there are some very helpful pros on this site. Once you post pics they will pic it apart and tell you exactly what everything is. You can download a service manual on here and my advice is to read and research as much as possible. The bogging could prolly be a simple jet change and carb adjustment. Stock on stock don't think they run with 450's but you sure could make it eat most of em.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I'm gonna try to get some pictures tonight. Don't be affraid to tell me what's bad about it I'd rather kno then not kno haha

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
post pictures of the frame. Close ups of the main frame behind the motor and the upper shock mounts. Oh and the front engine mounts

Should be able to tell what frame is it fromt that.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
That sucks if he told you it was a lonestar frame. I would pull the motor and take a look at it before I ran it anymore being that he was dishonest with you about the frame, hard to believe anything else he told you either. JMO

Still. . . looks like a pretty alright bike. Pull the plug and take a look and clean your air filter. The bog may be as simple as really fat jetting, or at least hope it's only that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my bad lonestar gussets i ment not lonestar frame. but otherwise id say its pretty mint. good starter

·
Registered
249 Posts
Id say thats worth the 2800 though i got mine for1200 but it was sitting in a shed for twelve years... 5 months later i already had to rebuild it rebuild the brake calipers and now it needs a clutch bummer....... :(

·
Registered
183 Posts
Aftermarket parts I see in pics:
Swing arm
Carrier
rear brake rotor
axle
Locknut
Adjustable dog bone
nerf bars
a arms
bumper
exhaust
stem
bars
thumb throttle
shrouds
seat cover
plastic
tether switch
carb
reeds
reed spacer
case saver
brake lines

·
Registered
266 Posts
Aftermarket parts I see in pics:
Swing arm
Carrier
rear brake rotor
axle
Locknut
Adjustable dog bone
nerf bars
a arms
bumper
exhaust
stem
bars
thumb throttle
shrouds
seat cover
plastic
tether switch
carb
reeds
reed spacer
case saver
brake lines
Yup, looks like a decent machine for the money. I've seen similar sell for more. I've also seen nicer sell for less. lol Guess it all depends where you are, and when you buy.
First thing I would do is a compression test. If you have good compression, play with the jetting and get it running smooth. If you have low compression, pull the motor and send the top end to Neil. ;)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Y

Yup, looks like a decent machine for the money. I've seen similar sell for more. I've also seen nicer sell for less. lol Guess it all depends where you are, and when you buy.
First thing I would do is a compression test. If you have good compression, play with the jetting and get it running smooth. If you have low compression, pull the motor and send the top end to Neil. ;)

Y?

That way he has a idea on what is stock and whats not. He said he dont know exactly what he bought. Thought it might help him.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Y?

That way he has a idea on what is stock and whats not. He said he dont know exactly what he bought. Thought it might help him.
Huh? What are you talking about? The list? Yeah, it looks pretty accurate.
But, he said he doesn't know much about 2 strokes. Which means he probably won't be able to rebuild the top end if it needs it. Since it's a used quad, who knows what kind of condition that jug is in... That is why I suggested the compression test.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Oh sorry. I thought you asked why I listed that stuff.
I just realized that there was a "Y" at the top of my other post. I don't know how it got there. Sorry for the confusion. hehe

·
Registered
39 Posts
piediddy i have a 88r put a pipe on it and a carb, now i eat my brothers 490 blaster all day long so for a stock r to beat a 450 it should have no problem if it is running right. i not being mean or rudd just saying what i know from ridding a r for over 15 years of racing. everyone have a great day, and best ridding.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts