Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 250r new in 1986 and have changed little. New reeds, and different jet for WY years ago. I just got it running again, I think I have the WY jet in there. What should I have for MN and WI, 750-1000 ft? I would like to run 32:1 fuel to oil too.

·
Registered
628 Posts
He was telling you pilot jet of 42 or 45. Main jet of 155, 158, 160 or 165. Keihin offers a few models of carbs and their pilot jets can be different from model type to model type. Mains however, are often times compatible from one keihin model to another.

Sudco or jets-r-us are good suppliers. Start out rich and tune down. Tune in your pilot and then the main.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He was telling you pilot jet of 42 or 45. Main jet of 155, 158, 160 or 165. Keihin offers a few models of carbs and their pilot jets can be different from model type to model type. Mains however, are often times compatible from one keihin model to another.

Sudco or jets-r-us are good suppliers. Start out rich and tune down. Tune in your pilot and then the main.
How do I tell what model carb I have?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Easy way to tell the model is the shape of the slide
Pwk has a D shaped slide
PJ has and oval
PE has a round slide
Pwm has a extended d shape to it

Pwk and pj are most popular keihins on a 250r. Pj, pwk, pwm all share the same main and pilots. Pe uses same main but has a different pilot

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My carb starts out with a "PJ" and has an oval slide. The jets are a 150 and 48. What do you recomend? Is a 20 pc set on ebay ok?

·
Registered
226 Posts
My carb starts out with a "PJ" and has an oval slide. The jets are a 150 and 48. What do you recomend? Is a 20 pc set on ebay ok?
not sure you looking for sir. I know the gentlemen pointed you in the right direction here are the rest of the carb numbers if that was the other thing you were looking for.hope it helps

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I need to rejet the carb. They said the Keinhin carbs all take the same jets. I must have a PJ, not that it matters. The jets that are in are a 150 and 48. What do you recommend? Is a 20 pc set on ebay ok?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I need to rejet the carb. They said the Keinhin carbs all take the same jets. I must have a PJ, not that it matters. The jets that are in are a 150 and 48. What do you recommend? Is a 20 pc set on ebay ok?
that is what the other gentlemen were telling you sir they were giving you some starting points.do you know how to jet?

·
Registered
226 Posts
that is what the other gentlemen were telling you sir they were giving you some starting points. I always start at 165/55 dgh 3rd. 1 1/2 pas. Then change your jets accordingly. Start with pilot and then when it's done move to your main.hope it helps

·
Registered
116 Posts
The 20 piece jet kit your referring to on ebay is most likely Chinese stuff & if it is you'll want to stay away from them. Actual keihin jets are made with much more strict tolerances than the Chinese copies. JetsRus is a great place to get factory keihin jets.

·
Registered
317 Posts
agree. keep away from china stuff. for jetting call bdt motorsports. they stock all jets-needles-parts. bdt-carlos will jet 4 u spot on.

i have the best. bdt built engines.
bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt431 puma
bdt561 saber
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well maybe since those are the stock jets, maybe it is something else. I don't know how to jet. It runs poorly until the rpms get up there. I will see if I can attach spark plug photos. IMG_20200203_133925.jpg

·
Registered
215 Posts
I would definitely go to Jets R us for any carb parts including jets. They have everything you need

·
Registered
116 Posts
How does the air filter look? If it was or is excessively dirty that would be a good place to start before tearing into the carb. If the carb needs cleaning rebuild kits are inexpensive & there easy to rebuild.

·
Registered
12,896 Posts
Sounds like you have the stock PJ 34MM Carburetor.

Not all Keihin's use the same Jets, Pilot Jets are different as well. For your PJ this really does not matter.

Well maybe since those are the stock jets, maybe it is something else. I don't know how to jet. It runs poorly until the rpms get up there. I will see if I can attach spark plug photos. View attachment 61895
Picture of Plug doesn't tell us much, except it looks dart-rich. However; to really tell what's going on we need a close-up, with Threads cut off at base.

Carlos

1 - 18 of 18 Posts