Honda TRX250R Forums banner

W/P rebuild questions

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Ciabatoni 
#1 ·
I have the service manual and I’m going to be attempting my first right crank seal replacement and also figured I’d rebuild the water pump while I’m in there. I’ve been searching the site for posts with tips and was wondering if I have to remove the impeller nut before I can get the clutch cover off or is the impeller shaft not locked onto anything behind the cover besides mating with the CB? I’m asking because I don’t have a impeller holder and don’t want to break it trying to wedge something in to hold it. I read once it’s out I can use a flat blade to hold the shaft from turning while torquing the nut down. Will I need to remove the clutch basket to get to the crank seal? I didn’t order a new locking tab washer for behind the main basket nut.

#2 ·
You don't have to remove the impeller nut to remove the clutch cover but since your taking it apart getting the nut broke loose while the clutch cover is still on the engine will make it easier for you. For the crank seal you will need to remove the clutch basket to get the drive gear off.

#3 ·
Thanks. I’ve been reading the manual and I figure since I’m going to be in there I should buy all the parts that I’ll be touching since I just got this trike and don’t know what I’ll find once I get it apart. I have this bad feeling it’ll never get back together once I tear into it lol

#4 ·
I split the cases on an R engine in August of 2020 & finally finished getting it back together & running 4 days ago so don't feel bad about working slowly. To top that one I split the cases on my wife's R engine in 2015 & its still sitting in a tote in pieces.lol

#10 ·
I just finished and I don’t think it’ll leak. It was pretty easy and would be even easier with the right tools. I ordered a clutch basket holder and it was too big so I had to improvise since I don’t have an impact and the clutch side crank seal was a bitch to pop out but I got it.

#11 ·
I fired it up today and rode it. No leaks and the motor sounds quieter than before since I found out when I pulled it apart the guy didn't have the crank gear and CB lined up dot to dot and I put it back together the right way. I put Vaseline on the faces of the mechanical seal and chapstick on all gasket surfaces for the w/p cover all tips I learned from this site:) The water flow in the radiator looks a lot stronger than it did before but it could be my imagination.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.