Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm new here.

A whoppin 18 years young and I'm lookin at buyin my first TRX250R roller here in the next day hopefully.

It took forever for the guy to find the VIN number, or his "wife" to find it since he was at "work"

He produced one and it's similar to my '88 CR500 frame's VIN so I didn't seem too worried about it, but I was wondering if you guys, or someone knowledgeable about the VIN's on these would chime in and give me a sample one or two to compare so I know this thing is just some made up BS when I go to run in at the DMV, before purchasing of course.

He says the chassis is an '86, it's kinda rough but I can manage that. I plan on putting my 500 in it, the 500 now is wore out and it's gonna be fully gone through, along with the crank being DYNAMIC balanced, not Static.

Other than that, my plans are to get it close to stock lookin, I'm gonna make all the stock graphics for it again since I do vinyl graphics printing and keep it as a sleeper!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
If you call American Honda they should be able to verify it for you. My 88 starts with a J, so I'm thinking an 86 should start with an H but I'm not positive on this. I know the first letter of the VIN number corresponds with the year the quad was made. The VIN number on my 86 is long gone.

Reactions: rsss396

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, I guess I could give em a ring. I'm gonna call the DMV and see if they can run it over the phone, if it's clean I'll just file for an abandoned title for it and drop the 500 in after I clean it up.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
ALL TRX250R VIN's start out JH3TE120. If it's really an '86 then the tenth "digit" of the VIN should be "G".

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Good deal! That's just about exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks diesel!

The VIN he gave me meets you guildlines so that's a plus! Now I just need the DMV to run in! Don't want stolen shit!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, it's an '86 250R like the guy said.

It doesn't have a title and hasn't ever been registered in Az so I'm kinda SOL on this one...

I kinda low balled him pretty hard anyways though, might be able to get an abandoned title for it if he takes to it.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
In CA if it has never been registered, DMV registration is actually less expensive than a vehicle that was originally registered and left un-registered for 5-7 years. I would think AZ should allow you to register without issues...more DMV fees for the state is a good thing...

Carlos.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, but since it hasn't been registered and has no title I'm pretty much screwed when it comes to riding it "legally" and all I ride is the dunes really, unless I can get the bike for cheap enough that I can get the abandoned title for it.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Look for a used, bent, low cost frame only, you really only need the VIN number plate with Title...the rest is obvious.

Carlos.

·
Registered
119 Posts
stock frames do not have a riveted vin plate. the 86/87's vin plate is on the shifter side subframe (welded plate). the 88/89's vin is stamped on the frame cross member that connects the upper front shock mounts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Is the vin plate on the 86/87 obvious or is it something small? I'm assuming the one on my 86 is long gone unless it's something that been painted or powder coated over.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On the '86 it's on the subframe close to where the rear shock res was/is.

It's stamped into it.

I thought there was 2 years that they were on a riveted tag?...

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Yeah, but since it hasn't been registered and has no title I'm pretty much screwed when it comes to riding it "legally" and all I ride is the dunes really, unless I can get the bike for cheap enough that I can get the abandoned title for it.
You may find that you're able to get a title by using a signed bill of sale. Here in Illinois, I've been successful in getting several TRX250R's titled using just a signed bill of sale. I downloaded a copy of the Illinois Title and Registration Guidelines from the Secretary of State and it said that title could be issued for any used ATV or off-highway motorcycle made prior to Jan 1, 1998 with a signed bill of sale and payment of all applicable fees. I've had a few Secretary of State employees try to fight me and tell me that I couldn't get a title...until I pull out my copy of the Title and Registration Guide, then they honor my request. Maybe something similar exists where you are?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You may find that you're able to get a title by using a signed bill of sale. Here in Illinois, I've been successful in getting several TRX250R's titled using just a signed bill of sale. I downloaded a copy of the Illinois Title and Registration Guidelines from the Secretary of State and it said that title could be issued for any used ATV or off-highway motorcycle made prior to Jan 1, 1998 with a signed bill of sale and payment of all applicable fees. I've had a few Secretary of State employees try to fight me and tell me that I couldn't get a title...until I pull out my copy of the Title and Registration Guide, then they honor my request. Maybe something similar exists where you are?

Yeah, I'll look into that, good suggestion.

I think someone here should just set me up on a good deal for an old roller already! ;)

I wanna do some TIG welding already!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Look for a used, bent, low cost frame only, you really only need the VIN number plate with Title...the rest is obvious.

Carlos.
I kinda snickered at this and filed the information away in case I should ever need it.... I just found out that there are national forest trails I could ride about an hour from my house. Unfortunately they are in Ohio. My eyes rolled back in my head when I looked at the web page and saw all the crap you have to do to get permits and such. Of course the main requirement is a title....which requires a VIN......

Aletha aka Breezy :lol:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
On the '86 it's on the subframe close to where the rear shock res was/is.

It's stamped into it.
I don't know exactly what I'm looking for, but I'm pretty sure mine is long gone. I don't even see or feel anything that looks like it might have been powder coated over. I just have a hand written bill of sale from the guy I bought it from, and we used the motor # for identification. He did the same thing from the guy he bought it off of.

I don't really know what the laws are in WV. My 88 doesn't have a title, and I have insurance on it. It wasn't really an issue before I realized there are trails in Ohio that I could ride IF I had a title so I could get the national forest stickers and permits in Ohio.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I don't know exactly what I'm looking for, but I'm pretty sure mine is long gone. I don't even see or feel anything that looks like it might have been powder coated over. I just have a hand written bill of sale from the guy I bought it from, and we used the motor # for identification. He did the same thing from the guy he bought it off of.
If you have the Honda service manual for your quad, check page 1-2. That page will show you the location of your VIN.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
86-87 VIN plate is located on the middle of the rear lower left subframe rail, it is 1" x 5" long welded to the rail. On 88/89 the VIN is stamped on the front upper rail behiend the front bumper...and Breezy; wink-wink of the old bent frame with tittle and the VIN that falls off in your lap:)

Carlos.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts