Honda TRX250R Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13,184 Posts
Not everyone is interested in peak hp. I've never had a screw come loose, but it is possible although it sounds more like a poor maintenance/installation issue. It's not like the engineers at honda didn't know what they were doing. Also your motor ingesting anything other than fuel and air is likely to cause damage. If a few grains of sand will cause damage, then what do you think chunks/pieces of carbon fiber will do? There are chances you take running any product and nothing is foolproof. I'm just saying. Personally I'll stick to my cr cage and boot on my R and my V 3's that came on my yz250. I'm quite happy with both. IMO it all just depends on what type of motor you're building and what kind of power you want out of your engine. Obviously everyone will have different opinions and I'm just stating mine, not trying to start a keyboard war.
I has not talking about Honda OEM reed cages, they don't loose screws on OEM cylinders (vibration is held in check with a balanced system). While I may not have been clear enough when stating "I don't suggest buying or using machined Reed sets with Pedals held by multiple screws"...what I meant to convey was the new Billet-Machined Reed Assemblies for sale, I have seen +3 engines come into the shop from customers who purchased these Billet-machined Reed sets that lost the screws, and also know of one member on this forum who has experienced the same issue on a BB Sphynx.

Little screws on BB's seems to be a problem waiting to happen, likely the extra vibration is partially to blame on some of these un-balanced engines, however; these Machined/Billet reed sets are marketed for BB's as well...don't use these on BB cylinders.

UNS has a good point as well; why risk it, and honestly Machined Billet Reed assemblies with little screws is a bad thoughtout design IMO.

Carlos

·
Registered
19 Posts
The VForce3's made in the past year are as good as any Reed set you are going to find. The Vforce2's are good, however; I preffer the VForce3's for Duner's, TT, MX, and Drag engines.

We have a couple of sets of VForce4's to try; just have not had the time to Dyno them out.

Carlos
I have heard guys say the vforce 3’s make the engine run a little on the lean side, dp you know if this is correct? I just picked up a set of vforce reeds myself and was curious. Havent had a chance to install them yet.

·
Registered
13,184 Posts
I have heard guys say the vforce 3’s make the engine run a little on the lean side, dp you know if this is correct? I just picked up a set of vforce reeds myself and was curious. Havent had a chance to install them yet.
Really....not the case at all. However; higher performing Reeds do produce more Fuel & Air Flow....possibly some are confusing better performance with a leaner condition, one you can easily correct by jetting 1-2 sizes bigger.

Carlos

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just bought a Vforce 305B (1986-89 TRX assembly) for my 1983 CR250R recommended by a MT tech rep.

He says my older engine with the more central tract and larger volume intake manifold is a perfect match for the 305B but not for the offset smaller 305A.
He wasn't sure if I need a spacer plate though. Anyone with suggestions? Possibly a 6mm spacer?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts