Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I finally got myself an 86r. I’ve got a lot of dumb questions. What oil and mix ratio is recommended? Also what octane of gas? I was planning on ethanol free and the tank says 20:1 just wasn’t sure what everyone thinks. The motor is stock at least the best as I can tell.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Don't run 20:1--too much oil. Oil in the 80s wasn't as good as today's and that's probably just Honda covering their butts. 32:1 is a safe ratio and some oils say you can go higher. Amsoil Dominator says it's safe at 50:1 and I ran that ratio for years with no problems. Now I'm running Klotz Techniplate at 40:1, only because it's more readily available and I like the smell. Regarding octane, a stock engine is fine on premium pump gas. The only time you need higher octane is if you raise the compression with a cool head and a smaller dome.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Never run anything less than non-eth premium even with a completely bone stock engine. Do you know what pre-mix & trans fluid the previous owner used?... I used Torco GP-7 for over 20 years at 36:1 with never any problems but recently switched to Klotz R-50 at 40:1. For the transmissions I used Napa atf type F for years & replaced it after every ride but recently switched to Honda HP trans fluid in my 86's & now I change it after 3-4 rides.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never run anything less than non-eth premium even with a completely bone stock engine. Do you know what pre-mix & trans fluid the previous owner used?... I used Torco GP-7 for over 20 years at 36:1 with never any problems but recently switched to Klotz R-50 at 40:1. For the transmissions I used Napa atf type F for years & replaced it after every ride but recently switched to Honda HP trans fluid in my 86's & now I change it after 3-4 rides.
He used a Honda HP-2. Mixed at 32:1

·
Super Moderator
783 Posts
You’ll get all kinds of preferences/responses to the pre-mix question. If the previous owner successfully ran HP2 at 32:1, I’d suggest sticking with it. It’s a high quality, full synthetic that’s readily available online and I’m sure any Honda power sports dealership would carry it. As for the trans, I’m a fan of the Honda HP Trans 80/85W oil. I agree with Scrappy, non-ethanol premium is what you want to run for fuel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
13oz to 5 gallons is 50:1 so your at probably 52:1 with only 12oz. That's not very much oil. You've never had any bearing failures?
Never. Golden Spectro is like tar. I have owned the bike since '93 and have run this since day 1. We have an '83, two '85 and an '86 (All ATCs) in my family and that is what we all run with no issues. My engine builder would tell me the same thing until he took the engine apart.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Never. Golden Spectro is like tar. I have owned the bike since '93 and have run this since day 1. We have an '83, two '85 and an '86 (All ATCs) in my family and that is what we all run with no issues. My engine builder would tell me the same thing until he took the engine apart.
To make golden spectro like tar you must be running it way too rich, I've been running it in same 250R since 1986 and never a problem. Never..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts