Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i saw this 250r for sale at 4500$ with a esr 310 kit, i wanted to know how long these things will last and if the kit is good for my riding style. i ride glamis mostly and sometimes go to superstition. in glamis, our group almost flies through the dunes and i wanted to know if the 310 kit is suited for that and if it is comparable to 450s. i need a bulletproof quad as i dont have 10k dollars sitting beside me that i can dump into an r. i also need to know what kind of maintenance this thing requires, does it need more than just the right fuel mixture, oil change, spark plugs? thanks to anyone who helps because a 250r is my dream quad.

·
Registered
527 Posts
As much as I love 250R's if you don't have one already now isn't a very good time to get into them. Most parts have become way overpriced both new & especially used. If you pay $4500 for an R & its not already full of aftermarket parts than you'll end up with over 10k into making it what you want.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As much as I love 250R's if you don't have one already now isn't a very good time to get into them. Most parts have become way overpriced both new & especially used. If you pay $4500 for an R & its not already full of aftermarket parts than you'll end up with over 10k into making it what you want.
yeah, have you heard anything about banshee reliability? if i ever bought one i would try to keep it stock, mostly doing a pipe and a filter. i’m hearing mixed opinions on the reliability on them though, some people say that they have towed home their banshee but some people say that they or their dad has had their banshee for 10 years with like 1 rebuild. if banshees arnt reliable and if i don’t find a good r than i’ll just get into 450s again and have to go through this same process

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm not the one to ask about Banshee's because I don't really like Yamaha. Riding a Banshee is like sitting on top of a log & they handle like crap. I've known lots of people with Banshee's, most had problems but some didn't. One thing to also keep in mind if you get a TRX450, Honda is dropping oem 450 parts just like they did with the 250R so don't expect much oem support from Honda if you buy an old one.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Oh wow, yeah the last Honda 450 was made in 2014 which means it is past the 6 year parts law for anything with a VIN. It's been that long.

Dune riders don't care as much about crap handling a lot of times.

Banshee prices now are insane though, especially considering that there were like 10X of them as many made as 250Rs. So I don't think you're going to save money there unless the Banshees in your area are really cheap.

I would never recommend a Banshee where I live out East but their dune popularity is well-known. As an RZ350 (same engine basically but in a street bike) owner I can tell you you will be dealing with imbalance between cylinders often if it sits for more than a few months. Doing everything twice can get old and expensive but the street bike does have fewer of these kinds of issues since the street is "clean" and it has a very good oil injection system. Not like an LT80 where it just kind of barfs it in there.

Me, I'm pretty much pleased with the $2-3K in aftermarket parts on my 250R. I don't think you need to buy $5500 worth of aftermarket parts to make it work for you. If it has paddles, ergonomic adjustments and shocks you like you might be good unless you are only hill shooting and want a long swingarm. That mod adds up fast.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I think the 310 kit would be fine and I know the 250R, once dialed in can be quite reliable, however I know that dune riding can be brutal on them. 1. There is sand everywhere and if you get any in your intake - you are toast. 2. The wide open long on the throttle can be bad for them as well. 3. If you are going long distances, the fuel economy is not the greatest - you will need a 4 gallon tank which is not the most comfortable to ride with 4. Major elevation changes can cause it to go lean and rich in one ride causing engine failure. So unless you are a wizard at jetting, it could be a bad idea.

Lots of people ride the dunes with their 250R's but I don't think most are constricted by budgets as you seem to be. Most have well over 10K into them and continue to put $ into them.

Your best bet may be to find a good condition used Yamaha 450 with fuel injection if you want reliability. Like someone else posted - the honda's are now 10 years old in most cases. All sport quads except the yamaha are discontinued so parts are scarce with good used ones or starting to get discontinued and expensive as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been riding my R for over 20 years in Glamis and I wouldn't want to ride anything else. It all really depends on what kind of riding you want to do. If you like drag racing and hill shooting then a Banshee is the way to go. The motor can be built to be ridiculously fast. Although remember it's a twin cylinder meaning 2 pistons, 2 carbs, 2 exhausts, and a lot more maintenance & cost. The suspension is terrible. Shocks and arms will help but the frame geometry is horrible, it will never handle like an R or 450. The 450's are nice, plenty of power, easy for a beginner to ride, almost too easy! I was bored riding one. Nothing like hitting the powerband of a 2 stroke or knowing how to feather the clutch when needed. The suspension is good but seat height is too high IMO. They're pretty reliable but can be expensive to repair when compared to a 2 stroke. I like the feel of an R, the seat height is down in the frame, don't feel like you're going to fly off at any time. They have great suspension with updated components and can be built to run strong in the sand, also pretty easy to work on. I personally like riding through the big bowls and throwing the quad around. I've run a stock motor, 310 and now my 330, like they say no replacement for displacement, especially in the sand. Down side is, like previously mentioned, parts are getting hard to find. There still are companies making aftermarket parts and motor builders around. Luckily if you ask around and research you can find what you're looking for. This site used to be more popular 5 years ago or so but most have moved to Facebook nowadays. There's still tons of info on this site if you search for it.

I don't know if there's such a thing as a bulletproof used quad??? I guess it's pick your poison, eventually, they all become money pits. If you enjoy it like the rest of us, the need to go faster and to have our quads stand out from the rest always wins that battle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts