Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its possible for me to get alot of different answers, but I'm brand new to the 250R world and I just bought an R yesterday...I wanna change all fluids etc...what trans / gear oil do you guys recommend and why? Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well I was a Amsoil Dealer in the past so I say it can go either way. Use a Honda like 80 gear oil or the 0w40 Atv oil works great. Really personal preference but just stay away from the $1.99 a qt walmart stuff

·
Registered
227 Posts
Honda hp is the way to go black bottal and it says 80-85 weight. Says right on the back made for cr and trx engines

Reactions: goonmx22

·
Registered
80 Posts
I run Amsoil in mine.. Its a lil pricey,but all oil is in 2013.. Lol.. I was gonna run the Honda Gear lube but it wasn't available locally .. So whatever u want as long as its a gearbox type of lubricant.. Happy riding on your New R!!!

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Sorry DFresh, I meant to reply to this thread but I got to reading through the one that Big_Mike posted above and replied to it by mistake.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Well I was a Amsoil Dealer in the past so I say it can go either way. Use a Honda like 80 gear oil or the 0w40 Atv oil works great. Really personal preference but just stay away from the $1.99 a qt walmart stuff
except if its shell rotella from walmart, for 1.99 a quart GREAT oil for clutches

the best oil is only good if its clean, it doesn't matter which oil you use if its dirty its bad oil!!!

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
except if its shell rotella from walmart, for 1.99 a quart GREAT oil for clutches

the best oil is only good if its clean, it doesn't matter which oil you use if its dirty its bad oil!!!
That's what a friend of mine over in the Netherlands said he runs in his 2002 CR125R, as well as several of his friends with 2-strokes. I didn't take it too serious but if you're recommending it, I'm going to try it out.

·
Registered
515 Posts
In my opinion = Honda has always wanted their ATV's to run better & last longer than the competitions ATV's(i believe that they have accomplished this). They put alot of R&D into the type of oil that will make their ATV's better than all the others. I will take Honda'a recommendation and run Honda Gear oil. Cost alittle more but if it will make my TRX & ATC perform great & last longer than it's worth alittle more to me. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Walmart Brand is Shell Rotella??
I have no idea who they use
but I know walmart sells rotella by the gallon for a good price,

I change my oil almost every ride so I couldn't do this with expensive oil, its the fibers and gear slivers that I want out of the oil,
I don't worry about it breaking down, its dirty before it broken down

once you use it and feel the clutch and see the longevity of the fibers you will wonder what took you so long to use it.

everyone that uses it is hooked on it, why spend money on running dirty oil,
if I could afford to do this with more expensive oil I would but I don't have to,
I run all high compression motors from 4 stroke to 2 and wouldn't think of using any other oil
do a quick research and test on it and you will be hooked too

·
Registered
497 Posts
I haves used all of them. Some shift cleaner if you what I mean. Last year I switched to ATF and have not been happier. It does break down faster so I change it after every ride. But I seems to keep my low end cleaner. Also have not had to change the clutch yet.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dnb, sounds interesting. I've used the ATF for awhile also. I meant watch out for the Walmart walmart brand but if u change every ride it'll work fine. I've done both ways. Now I go a few rides without changing but if the kids are racing the Yz"s I usually change em every race for sure

·
Super Moderator
4,273 Posts
You'll always get a lot of advice on trans oil, so I would say use which one you feel comfortable with & that has the most protection, but it really depends on how often your planing on changing the oil.

Myself, I've been dealing with 250R engines since 1986 & have used Dexron II ATF for a good part of those years, so to the best as I know, never had a failure of any kind from using that oil.
I do change the trans oil after every weekend event though. ATF is the right weight for the bearings, right for the fiber plates of the clutch & movement of the shift forks, but needs replacing often.
It all boils down, to how often you'll change the oil out on which to use.

The Shell Rotella oil, we all need to recommend that to all the 4 poke owners, specially the Honda 450R owners, because it will foam & knock the big end rod bearing out quicker than a cat can lick its tail & boyz, aint no better sound to me than a 4 poker spitting that connecting rod out of a block.
Neil

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have ran ATF for 10 years no problem change as often as you ride .if you ride alot change alot and vice versa

·
Registered
459 Posts
The Shell Rotella oil, we all need to recommend that to all the 4 poke owners, specially the Honda 450R owners, because it will foam & knock the big end rod bearing out quicker than a cat can lick its tail & boyz, aint no better sound to me than a 4 poker spitting that connecting rod out of a block.
Neil
Neil, I have to question your sobriety. :lol: A lot of guys are running Rotella on the engine side, in these 450R's. Including myself. Never heard an issue using Shell. You have to remember, when these high reving, four strokes', time is up,
no oil in the world will help them.

·
Registered
345 Posts
mobil 1 race 4t ,, 10w40 has no friction modifiers , helps your clutch not slip, matt shearer recommended this so if it works for him it works for me

1 - 20 of 38 Posts