Honda TRX250R Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Banned
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TPC rider #44 Fast Freddy Morrell won the Open Pro main event.

A total of 73 trikes made the event.

3 heat races for open and 4 heat races for Vintage.

Congratulations to all riders who made the event out biggest one yet.

Great to see the BDT Team make the long drive to attend the event. Rain canceled Saturdays heats but thanks to the efforts of Bud Fisher and his crew we got it all in on Sunday.

I'll post official results soon.

·
Registered
898 Posts
pretty sad that this big race weekend was shortened up so much from the rain and the AMA ,,, they
ended up with only 5 laps of practice and 5 lap heats and mains ,, before It got dark on sunday.. they ran the quads all day.. then gave out the awards before even letting the trikes on the track @3:30 In the afternoon to try to get full race program In,,

·
Banned
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well Kasey had you been there you would have realized that Bud Fisher was great to us. Because if the rain all quad classes were cut to 4 laps in heats and mains. After they were done we had the place to ourselves. We had two practice sessions with time I between to make changes and then we had longer heats and mains than what the quads had. We were supposed to have a 10 lap open main. On the first start we got in a few laps before Doug Crossway crashed and had to wait for him to get medical attention. Then we restarted the race. All total we still got 8 laps in despite the delay.

What is more important though is the statement we all made to the AMA and the EDT head honchos. They tried to stop us at the AMA EDT Freedom National a few weeks ago and the few of is there stayed to the end to race and did not get on the track until 11:30 pm. Them got them to see that not only did that not discourage us but, at the next round, this race, over 70 trikes showed up. That's 20 more than last year and 30 more than the previous year. They now know we will not be bullied away. Promoters and fans want us. In fact many people stayed to watch us and he stands had more people watching to Open Expert 3 wheeler class than were watching to pro quads.
As a result of this one of the top AMA guys and the man in charge of the EDT series are now taking us seriously. The EDT guy approached myself and Tim Sr. More on that for another time. All I will say is there are going to be big changes for 3 wheelers in 2015.

Even though we got rained out on Saturday and had a long wait on Sunday the time was not wasted. We all spent the time visiting with each other, meeting new people and catching up with old friends. Matt and his wife Rossie even made a big dinner for the ATC Boys/TPC pits and invited the BDT crew over. Despite all the forum trash talking between us, Carlos and I sat next to each other and enjoyed a great meal and even better company. Great Time!!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
That's great to hear of the great turnout for the trikes. I hope we can get the AMA to change there stance on trikes. It's no different than vintage bike racing. Really wish I would have had the time to make it over there regardless. Not sure I understand how trikes raced at unadilla couple weeks ago with no problems with the AMA. Maybe there was and I just never heard about it.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
it was nice to hang out with you again bill..it was even better to get to see all of the wheeler's from all of the different crew come together and just hang out and have a good time racing and pitting!i also can't believe how many riders there were.looking forward to next year.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I raced unadilla and heard of no problems. Owner of unadilla loved having the trikes there and plans on advertising for next year.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
As a result of this one of the top AMA guys and the man in charge of the EDT series are now taking us seriously. The EDT guy approached myself and Tim Sr. More on that for another time. All I will say is there are going to be big changes for 3 wheelers in 2015.
Very cool. They should also start thinking about adding the same type of open, vintage a, and vintage b quad class. Vintage is huge on the bike side of the ama motorsports. The trikes are beyond ready right now and the vintage quad classes would start to grow.

·
Registered
12,966 Posts
First congrats to all racers, and all class winners, as well as everyone that made the trip and particiapted. And yes, a big congrats to TPC/Bill and Fred Morrell on the open class final win.

As far as Team BDT, we are proud of our accomplishments in our fisrt ever trip to Ashtabula. Looking at the final results, BDT Tom D ran the little 200R against anything he could, eventually taking the hole shot and winning Vintage A Consi against equal to much larger engines....anyone that saw the BDT 200R will attest to how hard she runs....the 200R certainly runs like a much larger engine.

In Vintage Class A, BDT Dave H won the first moto and finished 3 rd in the second moto, both times he got the hole shot in each Moto. This was a BDT 261CC engine...

In open BDT Dave H won the fisrt Moto, and finished 6th in the second Moto to TPC's Fred Morrell. Fred was hooked up, on rails, Dave struggled to find the grove, just was not their for Dave. Dave did get the Hole shot in Moto 1 and Moto 2.

We met a lot of great folks, enjoyed a good dinner courtesy of Matt Bills and company, thanks Matt...! TPC Bill and I even shared dinner, and a few laughs....i got to wear a TPC shirt for a photo opt with Fred Morrell and Bill....all in good fun! Met Martin aka American Opel, Cody and family, got to hang out with Scott aka Scawn...all great folks, proud to call them our friends.

We would love to see the continued growth of Trike Racing, the Trike crews, Tim, Bill, and everyone else have done a great job getting Trike racing going again, we loved being part of the event. However, IMO the venue needs to change if we expect to draw participants from out West or other distant states. Not getting on the track, no opractice time, bunching all practice & racing to a 2 hour period does not work for the out of town travelers that have never been to Ashtabula....tires, and preperation at the track is everything, Team BDT struggled, and guessed the best we could at what tire and suspension would work on this 'Blue Grove' type track. Practice sessions spread out over a day or two of racing would even the playing field for everyone.

No excuses, we ran what we had and did the best we could, cant ask for more. Just want to see Trike Racing continue to evolve, and draw as many competitors as possible from all states....we need a venue that allows for practice, and racing over a couple of days, and not al within 2 hours on the last day...Trike Racing should not be anyones 'Red Headed Step Child', and currently that is what we are. Lets all work to better next years event, and make it worth the trip for all participants.

Once again, congrats to everyone, all class winners, TPC/Bill/Fred for the Open win, all class winners and to all the folks that put this event together. Looking forward to a much better event next year and beyond.

Carlos

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I think at this point the west coast has a lot more growing to do to become a factor in the relocation of a trike national. At this point our numbers are just not big enough.......YET.
IMO bigger gates help growth. Less classes maybe following what has become the national trike class structure to have some coast to coast simularity until growth and entry count demands a change.
The west coast should be looking at what these guys have been able to build in the ohio, midwest to east coast area and copy them.

·
Banned
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I raced unadilla and heard of no problems. Owner of unadilla loved having the trikes there and plans on advertising for next year.
That is because it comes down to insurance companies, who you have and when your policy went into effect and how many years it covers.

For example, to run a AMA sanctioned event you have to choose from one of 5 companies approved by the AMA. Most of those companies do not insure trikes. Previous to 2014 there was no clause in the policy against trikes for a few of the companies. Because of that we got in under the exhibition clause. For 2014 the insurance companies rewrote their policy to specifically mention and exclude three wheelers. However, if you bought your policy prior to 2014 and had a muti year policy it does not apply until you renew your policy under the new rules.

This only applies to AMA sanctions tracks/Races. At the NEEDT Ashtabula National Held in June we had no problems.

Unadilla May or may not run into this problem for 2015. I will know more once I talk again with Greg and the AMA.

·
Banned
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I want to give kudos to Carlos for his sportsmanship. What no one else knew is we had a little side bet between us. If BDT won the open class I would have to wear a BDT t-shirt and have my picture taken with the winner. If TPC won Carlos had to wear TPC shirt and get his picture taken with the winner. Well I didn't have to wear the BDT shirt ;) Carlos was a great sport about it and did not hesitate to fulfill his end of the deal. We both had a good laugh about it. Thank you again Carlos and your entire Team. You have nothing to be ashamed of. BTW did you find the hidden TPC sticker...lol?

etccb, TPC is planning a relocation out west. As we have done on the east coast, Midwest, and recently down south, we will do what we can to help the west coast race scene. I have been working with Frank of CALVMX since their first race and have been pushing for some changes to help it grow. Now that Carlos has got a taste of how we do it on this side of the country...AMA interference not included...I'm sure he will work with us to improve west coast racing.

·
Registered
12,966 Posts
IMO it is time to call the AMA out, and begin to demand equal treatment. If the AMA does not want to recognize and treat Tirkes equaly like they do Quads, Motorcycles, then it is time to drop the AMA from venues like Ashtabula as well as others and move to the NEEDT sanctioning body. Trike racing at Ashtabula had 69 entries (from memory, could be off a bit), these entry numbers are larger than they got for the Quad AMA classes.

The continued growth of Trike Racing, the large entry numbers realtive to other classes, and friendly-competative atmosphere we are experiencing should be used to leverage us to an equal footing as the rest of the classes under any sanctioning, AMA Iincluded....IMO.

Carlos

·
Registered
12,966 Posts
Black Sheep36737 said:
I want to give kudos to Carlos for his sportsmanship. What no one else knew is we had a little side bet between us. If BDT won the open class I would have to wear a BDT t-shirt and have my picture taken with the winner. If TPC won Carlos had to wear TPC shirt and get his picture taken with the winner. Well I didn't have to wear the BDT shirt ;) Carlos was a great sport about it and did not hesitate to fulfill his end of the deal. We both had a good laugh about it. Thank you again Carlos and your entire Team. You have nothing to be ashamed of. BTW did you find the hidden TPC sticker...lol?

etccb, TPC is planning a relocation out west. As we have done on the east coast, Midwest, and recently down south, we will do what we can to help the west coast race scene. I have been working with Frank of CALVMX since their first race and have been pushing for some changes to help it grow. Now that Carlos has got a taste of how we do it on this side of the country...AMA interference not included...I'm sure he will work with us to improve west coast racing.
Thanks Bill for the being a good sport....while It was painful to wear the TPC shirt for the pictures with Fred and you (LOL), it was also in good fun, and a well deserved Open Win for the TPC crew.

I am not sure what we can do to help, however, you got my full support to help as much as we can to promote and increase Trike participation, now that you will be on the West Coast, we should be able to work together easier and make this happen if at all possible.

Carlos

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Trike racing is always going to be effected by the insurance companies, there is no way around it.
Thank you again 60 min.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Sounds like loads of fun. Id like to race any of the bikes! Congratulations to everyone! Its great for the 3 wheeled world!

1 - 20 of 132 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.