Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always ,warmed it up,pulled the drain plug then let it drain all out.
Then put the plug back in and pulled the check and filled up the tranny in tell oil came out of the check.
Fired up the bike for a couple of mins ,then let set for awhile,then pulled the check plug and if nothing came out I would add more Tranny fluid
Question is am I adding to much oil,I've always done it like that,just wondering.thanks

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I always add up to the overflow bolt hole, then put the bolt in and give the red honda jug a couple more squirts of fluid in the bottom end. There was a thread on here somewhere, seemed like most of us add extra to it.

·
Super Moderator
4,273 Posts
Everybody can put the amount of oil in they want or have always done.
I've always put in 3/4 of a qt, so the oil would be high enough to lube the balancer bearing on start up & be high enough as well that if the clutch side crank seal should go bad, oil will be sucked into the crankshaft area, burned & cause the engine to smoke like the dickens.
That oil being sucked in, should the seal be going bad, could save the engine instead of raw air being sucked in & seizing the piston.
Neil

·
Registered
416 Posts
Good question ported r 22. I've always added a little extra after putting the check plug back in & wondered if I should be doing that or not. Now I know. Thanks guys:)

·
Registered
436 Posts
I always thought that the oil check bolt was for minimum oil level.

Reactions: 250rdrag

·
Super Moderator
4,273 Posts
If you have a Yamaha Blaster, DONT over fill that transmission, fill it to the proper level. Because if over filled, it will blow the clutch cover gasket & oil up that side of the quad real good, including the rear brakes.

Ol Banshee, full qt of oil, want to be sure that clutch has plenty of oil on start up & give the oil time enough to get hot on start ups before you go to hammering on the engine, or else clutch slip & you'll end up replacing the clutch like everbody talks about you have to do on Banshees.
Neil

·
Registered
499 Posts
If you have a Yamaha Blaster, DONT over fill that transmission, fill it to the proper level. Because if over filled, it will blow the clutch cover gasket & oil up that side of the quad real good, including the rear brakes.

Ol Banshee, full qt of oil, want to be sure that clutch has plenty of oil on start up & give the oil time enough to get hot on start ups before you go to hammering on the engine, or else clutch slip & you'll end up replacing the clutch like everbody talks about you have to do on Banshees.
Neil
Damm I could never fig out why I couldn't keep a clutch on my shee lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
Everybody can put the amount of oil in they want or have always done.
I've always put in 3/4 of a qt, so the oil would be high enough to lube the balancer bearing on start up & be high enough as well that if the clutch side crank seal should go bad, oil will be sucked into the crankshaft area, burned & cause the engine to smoke like the dickens.
That oil being sucked in, should the seal be going bad, could save the engine instead of raw air being sucked in & seizing the piston.
Neil
Now that sir is genius. Great idea! So there is no such thing as adding " too much"?

·
Registered
63 Posts
No, the problem is not with the oil as you can add full and the oil cannot be extra as you can have it full always. If there is something like this, then surely they will have one warning written there, but I have not seen any time, so the issue cannot be with too much oil.

·
Registered
22 Posts
if you put to much oil in it will be pushed out the case vent tube just make sure that tube never gets a kink or you will blow a seal

1 - 16 of 16 Posts