Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1986 TRX250R
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fairly new R owner. The pipe that came with it started to leak. Removed it, cleaned everything up, got a new flange installed.Any tips on getting it all back on? Start with heater then do the pipe, and aside to assemble it all and install that? Haven’t hat much time to really mess with putting it all back on. Any help would be appreciated

·
Super Moderator
783 Posts
Yep, you’ve got the order down - header pipe first, then expansion chamber, then silencer.

You may want to test fit everything to ensure you have the appropriate spacers/washers, etc. for each of the mounting locations. It can take some adjusting to get everything spaced out properly and sitting in a spot where all the pipe joints are engaged fully.

If your pipe springs aren’t in good condition (stretched out), you should consider new springs. If your springs are too loose, the pipe will always leak.

Lastly, at the flange/header joint and the header/expansion joint I like to apply Hondabond HT (high temp) or other high temp sealant to ensure no future leaks. If you add sealant, make sure to let it cure for a full day before running the engine - easier said than done, I know.

·
Registered
1986 TRX250R
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, you’ve got the order down - header pipe first, then expansion chamber, then silencer.

You may want to test fit everything to ensure you have the appropriate spacers/washers, etc. for each of the mounting locations. It can take some adjusting to get everything spaced out properly and sitting in a spot where all the pipe joints are engaged fully.

If your pipe springs aren’t in good condition (stretched out), you should consider new springs. If your springs are too loose, the pipe will always leak.

Lastly, at the flange/header joint and the header/expansion joint I like to apply Hondabond HT (high temp) or other high temp sealant to ensure no future leaks. If you add sealant, make sure to let it cure for a full day before running the engine - easier said than done, I know.
Finally had time to sit down and put it all together. Ended up using Permatex ultracopper since I had some already. Thanks for the advise, aside from a couple curse words, it all went pretty smooth. After being garaged for almost 2 years, it fired right up on the 3rd kick...... then one of the gas tank fuel lines split and started leaking lol. On to the next project

1 - 3 of 3 Posts