Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ATC / TRX250R owners rejoice as one of the best rear tires is back in production, and potentially improved! According to sources, Cheetah Tires has obtained the mold and the "Dunlop kt577a is now replaced for hp577c with a much better compound". It was also stated that, "We've tested these on the street, and are incredible on powerband and top end. We took them out to the trails and are amazing on take off and even better on the turns with traction".

Current price is $225 a pair. You can reach Cheetah Tires at 786-879-2040, by emailing [email protected], or their Facebook page. They are currently working on a full web page as well. I spoke with Ernest and he said there are plans for other popular discontinued tires such as the ATC250R front tire and the R903 flat track tires.

·
Super Moderator
2,311 Posts
how would you say these compare to the Holeshots, Maxx Razrs, Ambush, XC Masters or Kenda Klaws?

·
Registered
898 Posts
WELL ALL I CAN SAY IS HMMMMM... we deal with thousands of tires and I have not seen a single brand from PRC that has not started checking within 10 months even the new tech 4's are falling apart fast,,,,, we will see on these,,,

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I think at $225 a pair that is a bit much. But that is cool these are being made again for the few that want to restore their trx or atc 250r

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how would you say these compare to the Holeshots, Maxx Razrs, Ambush, XC Masters or Kenda Klaws?
I haven't tested them personally, but I will repeat that these are not a replica of the original k577. These are being produced from the exact same mold that Dunlop used. As for how well the tire stacks up, it was the OEM tread pattern for 3 of the most popular Honda ATV's ever (85/86 ATC350X, 85/86 ATC250R, and 86/87 TRX250R). The tread pattern also spawned the Ohtsu R701 knobby tire which brought out a petition by the other riders back in the day, trying to prevent the Team Honda riders from using them. Lastly, there have been a few knock offs such as the Maxxis Razrcross and STI Tech 4 which look extremely similar and are very good tires.

What does all this mean? Nothing really. If you like the tread pattern and are looking for a great all around tire that you can race on the track AND run through the woods, I think these will work for you. They are a 4 ply tire, so they're a bit stronger than the 2 ply some tires (such as the Holeshot MXR6) are made of. Being that these are made from the same mold as the k577, I expect them to be the same kind of tire. They'll be an outstanding play tire in just about every situation you throw at it and can be decent on the track if you need them to be, but they aren't going to be the best at everything. It's just cool to see that these are available again.

·
Registered
416 Posts
At 225 a set for reproductions it makes me happy that I got 2 sets of new oem's from honda for 150 a set before they were discontinued.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At 225 a set for reproductions it makes me happy that I got 2 sets of new oem's from honda for 150 a set before they were discontinued.
I'm only assuming that once Cheetah is able to recoop some of the money spent to obtain the mold to make these tires, we may see the price of these come down. For now, I think it would at least be fair to at least appreciate their efforts to bring back an awesome tire.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I may have to try some for the upcoming XC season!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
From what I can see these are an oem replica, not a race tire. If you are doing a restore or garage queen and want it to look stock then here you go. I wouldn't drop that cash to try these for performance or recreation use vs the other performance tires with better working carcass and design out there. As for garage queen restore use I hope that these hold up to a longer life then Kasey mentioned but time will tell on that. Good to see them made for the oem desires out there though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts