Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m going through the rite of passage known as the swingarm bolt. It turns won’t come out, but I’m working on it.
Can I remove the bolt without removing the rear motor mounts?

Still a noob trying to figure all this out on my first R

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes it can be removed without taking out the rear motor mounts. However I know these bolts have a legacy of seizing. I have always applied anti seize on mine and even after it sat for 12 years it pushed right out. I would
1. Remove the motor mounts because perhaps it was rolled or flipped and the frame may be a bit twisted.
2. Go ahead and search YouTube and get that YouTube certification on bolt removal
3. Plan to beat the crap out of that bolt with a 3/8" extension. But leave the nut in place so you don't whack up the threads. Once the nut contacts the frame I would use a 1/4" long extension to avoid thread damage
4. Look for a replacement bolt online because they usually are trashed.
Good luck cowboy 🤠

·
Registered
367 Posts
Before you go pounding on it with a BFH think about the stress you'll be putting your 35 year old fame under by doing that. I learned this the hard way & had the bolt stuck just like yours is when I bought my wife's 86. I tried beating it out with no luck & ended up slightly bending the frame in the process. I ended up cutting a spacer out of sheet metal to prevent adding even more stress by tightening & pulling the frame back together when I reassembled it. After beating on it & it not budging I ended up having to cut the bolt on both sides of the swinger between the frame & swinger. I used a 4" grinder & cut off wheel to get mine out. Good luck

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought about that. So I have been dousing it with PB blaster wherever I can find a space.
The bolt rotated nicely, but won’t budge.

The swinger has some slop and play so I’m hoping I don’t have to cut it but it seems inevitable at this point.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so days of wiggling, PB blaster, CLP break free…. And I moved the bolt about an 1/8th of an inch.
So I guess I’m taking the motor out.
It spins but doesn’t budge and I’m afraid of wacking it with a 10lbs sledge.
Where do I cut the bolt?, and once it’s cut, doesn’t the pieces still have to be knocked or pressed out?

·
Registered
367 Posts
You cut through the thrust collars between the swinger & frame & as you already discovered the engine has to be out for this method. There's not much room so be careful & if you have nice paint on your swinger you may want to get a welding blanket to protect it from the sparks. Once you get the swinger out if you still can't get the bolt out, you'll have to cut the inside thrust collars to get the engine mount out than you'll definitely be able to get the rest of it apart after that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts