Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum but have used it before for some good info and I am looking to build a high horsepower mx bike. Its a 1987 trx250r. Engine is all stock except for an LRD pipe. The class I race mandates a stock bore cylinder and I was wondering how I would go about building a 4-stroke killer out that engine?

·
Registered
77 Posts
if ii was you i would call someone such as arlan at LED performance or pete at hybrid engineering or carlos at BDT. and ask them what they would recommend i have never dealt with pete or carlos but arlan just built mine and its very fast. and if you are stuck with stock bore then you would probably be looking at stuff more like porting and pipes and intake. in my opinion. with my experience on here and other forums is that a question on a website will get you an idea but actually talking to somebody will get you the pinpoint answer (depending on your question)

·
Registered
62 Posts
if ii was you i would call someone such as arlan at LED performance or pete at hybrid engineering or carlos at BDT. and ask them what they would recommend i have never dealt with pete or carlos but arlan just built mine and its very fast. and if you are stuck with stock bore then you would probably be looking at stuff more like porting and pipes and intake. in my opinion. with my experience on here and other forums is that a question on a website will get you an idea but actually talking to somebody will get you the pinpoint answer (depending on your question)
+1, all will yield exceptional results. If it were me I'd call Carlos at BDTM. I haven't dealt with any of the other companies, but I'm sure they're all great. I am however dealing with Carlos as we speak. Great communication and outstanding packing/shipping and of course TOP quality parts and service!!.
Good luck with your choice.!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Both my sons have stock ported cylinders set at 13.5:1 compression with fmf fatty pipes. Last year they were drag racing a friend up a sand dune on a piped yfz. Every race my boys were beating the yfz. Pete at Hybrid Engineering built both those engines. One has a 66.5 bore and the other has a 67.25.
On the mx track suspension is by far your most important upgrade. After that I feel porting and compression are next. Pipe choice is debatable. You can buy a ESR trx5, 7, 9, 10, or fmf fatty and be just fine. Another option is to buy a hand coned pipe. Matt Shearer or Kenny Roberts are the two best pipe builders out there. After those two guys I would get an LED pipe or just save $600 and stick with a stamped pipe.
Builder choice is going to ultimately come down to who you choose. Pete is my choice hands down. Arlen has been building R's for a very long time. There are countless other people you can take it to.
I guarantee I will get trash talked for stating this... I personally would not go with bdt. I had a 310 that was nothing but issues. It was supposed to be a 92 octane engine and when I finally brought it to Pete at Hybrid Engineering he discovered that the dome was suitable for alchohol. That's 17.5:1 compression. Then add in how Carlos behaves on here and on the phone when you try to talk to him about his mistakes. All was blamed on me.
I honestly have a stock cylinder engine ported at a local saw shop that would out run that bdt 310.
Good luck
Loren

Reactions: SandSlinger

·
Registered
12,963 Posts
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum but have used it before for some good info and I am looking to build a high horsepower mx bike. Its a 1987 trx250r. Engine is all stock except for an LRD pipe. The class I race mandates a stock bore cylinder and I was wondering how I would go about building a 4-stroke killer out that engine?
Welcome...! Ask any questions needed, lot's of knowledge he on .NET

A one stop shop like BDT is ideal; engine, pipe, OEM parts, IGN, Billet Parts, and Knowledge to support you after the sale, today or 10 years in the future.

BDT has built a lot of National Winning MX & TT Stock Bore cylinders in the past few years, check these National Racers out:

David Ham
Jeff Carelli
Cody Smith
John Fraunchet

All WON National ATC250R & TRX250R National races in 2018-2019 and 2020 (before all the Covid-19 shut downs).

Pick the builder you like, some good builders are available for 250R's. Best of Luck....:)

Carlos

·
Registered
62 Posts
Both my sons have stock ported cylinders set at 13.5:1 compression with fmf fatty pipes. Last year they were drag racing a friend up a sand dune on a piped yfz. Every race my boys were beating the yfz. Pete at Hybrid Engineering built both those engines. One has a 66.5 bore and the other has a 67.25.
On the mx track suspension is by far your most important upgrade. After that I feel porting and compression are next. Pipe choice is debatable. You can buy a ESR trx5, 7, 9, 10, or fmf fatty and be just fine. Another option is to buy a hand coned pipe. Matt Shearer or Kenny Roberts are the two best pipe builders out there. After those two guys I would get an LED pipe or just save $600 and stick with a stamped pipe.
Builder choice is going to ultimately come down to who you choose. Pete is my choice hands down. Arlen has been building R's for a very long time. There are countless other people you can take it to.
I guarantee I will get trash talked for stating this... I personally would not go with bdt. I had a 310 that was nothing but issues. It was supposed to be a 92 octane engine and when I finally brought it to Pete at Hybrid Engineering he discovered that the dome was suitable for alchohol. That's 17.5:1 compression. Then add in how Carlos behaves on here and on the phone when you try to talk to him about his mistakes. All was blamed on me.
I honestly have a stock cylinder engine ported at a local saw shop that would out run that bdt 310.
Good luck
Loren
I'm not going to debate on who makes the "best set-up"
Welcome...! Ask any questions needed, lot's of knowledge he on .NET

A one stop shop like BDT is ideal; engine, pipe, OEM parts, IGN, Billet Parts, and Knowledge to support you after the sale, today or 10 years in the future.

BDT has built a lot of National Winning MX & TT Stock Bore cylinders in the past few years, check these National Racers out:

David Ham
Jeff Carelli
Cody Smith
John Fraunchet

All WON National ATC250R & TRX250R National races in 2018-2019 and 2020 (before all the Covid-19 shut downs).

Pick the builder you like, some good builders are available for 250R's. Best of Luck....:)

Carlos
Well said Carlos.
Op, your best to call and talk to some shop(s). I find it helps to talk in person over texting to get a good feel for a person. Once your confidence in your builder or parts supplier I'm sure you'll end up with a great machine. As stated above, don't overlooked suspension....it's Extremely important and too often overlooked.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts