Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When powdering knuckles I thought I remember reading or hearing that you shouldn’t powder the mating surfaces between the knuckle & the knuckle arm? What’s your thoughts on this?

Long story short I got mine back from powder & they taped off the top & bottom of the knuckle & fully powdered the knuckle arm. Guy powders black all the time so I can have them re-done no problem.

I know I should have asked this before I had them powdered to verify what I thought was right, I was just in a hurry to get a bunch of little parts powdered up to keep my progress going.

I’m posting pic of both knuckles (left pair shows what bottoms of parts look like, right pair shows top)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Unless your wanting the detailed look of unpainted bolts I'd bolt the tie rod plates back onto the knuckles & have them pc'd all together. Otherwise the exposed bare metal is going to get rusty pretty quick, especially on the bottom where you 'll have all that exposed area around the nuts. You can also have them mask off the spindle threads & pc the end where the cotter pin holes are.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless your wanting the detailed look of unpainted bolts I'd bolt the tie rod plates back onto the knuckles & have them pc'd all together. Otherwise the exposed bare metal is going to get rusty pretty quick, especially on the bottom where you 'll have all that exposed area around the nuts. You can also have them mask off the spindle threads & pc the end where the cotter pin holes are.
I appreciate your reply! I’m not partial to unpainted bolts, my only thought there would be if I ever had to dis-assemble them then the powder would be all messed up at the mating surface & where bolts are. I’m definitely going to have them re-done to get bottoms fixed. What are your thoughts on the mating surfaces, should those be powdered or left bare & coated with never-sieze before install?

·
Registered
684 Posts
It's not really a precision part. Meaning it's not holding fluids in, mating to a gasket...etc. Most of the atv world set alignment with a tape measurer which has a lot of tolerance stack up. So the added material would be negated.

Powder coat will have less static friction and could break down over time causing the connection to loosen.

I would powder coat it. Use blue loctite and make sure to check the bolts as part of your regular maintenance.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not really a precision part. Meaning it's not holding fluids in, mating to a gasket...etc. Most of the atv world set alignment with a tape measurer which has a lot of tolerance stack up. So the added material would be negated.

Powder coat will have less static friction and could break down over time causing the connection to loosen.

I would powder coat it. Use blue loctite and make sure to check the bolts as part of your regular maintenance.
That’s what I’m gonna do! Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts