Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So working on my project, I was changing all fluids and bleeding the brakes, when I noticed the rear bleeder nipple was tight. I put some break free on it and just tapped on it lightly and then tried to loosen it..and then it sheared right off, leaving part inside the rear caliper.
You can see it has quite some rust around it, which is why it froze in place, should I try and extract it?, maybe just bleed from the banjo bolt?

Second, I notice what appears to be a crack in the spring collar or stopper, think that’s what it is.
I was going to replace the suspension, but not sure how soon, until now.
Whats your opinion on this crack? Can it be fixed with a part or need a new shock.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Completely agree with with Big Mike! Try to get that bleeder out.

As far as the shock, if you send it to any reputable shock servicer they should be able to repair and rebuild/revalve/respring the rear to your riding style and weight. The stock rears can be significantly improved upon once dialed in.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I would use heat the caliper body, lube, lightly tap the bleeder with steel hammer and punch.. repeat. Try to loosen and lube it as much as possible before you try and extract. You don't want to break an extractor off in there.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you're going to pay someone to rebuild the rear shock you might as well have them revalve it and set it up for your weight and riding style, maybe change the spring like bushwesl said. This will save you $$$ down the line since there will be no need to get an aftermarket one then. Can't do that with the stock fronts! You'll be able to spend more on the front then.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply’s guys.
I’ll have to try and get that bleeder out. I went pretty easy on it when I first tried to turn it, I was surprised how easy it sheared. Guess 30+ years will do that.
I will get that shock out and see what can be done.
Some vapor blasting and a total rebuild is going to be what’s needed.

I’ll just be sure to hide the receipt on the “better shocks “ up front from the other half lol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know this is old. Did you get the bleeder out? I’m asking bc many times people try to get them out they drill through it and ruin the seat for the bleeder. I’ll have to look at the R caliper to be sure this can be done, but on dozens I’ve drilled out to tap it 1/8 pipe, there is a fitting Polaris sells that screws into 1/8 pipe thread that has a new seat in it and a bleeder. I’ve saved many calipers this way.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know this is old. Did you get the bleeder out? I’m asking bc many times people try to get them out they drill through it and ruin the seat for the bleeder. I’ll have to look at the R caliper to be sure this can be done, but on dozens I’ve drilled out to tap it 1/8 pipe, there is a fitting Polaris sells that screws into 1/8 pipe thread that has a new seat in it and a bleeder. I’ve saved many calipers this way.
Tbh, I haven’t even messed with it yet. I will once I start the rebuild. I look into that fitting. Ty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts