Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you use to seal stubborn beads?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought a can of bead sealer at my local auto parts store, its the same type of stuff I used to use when I was a mechanic. It's kinda runny, not very thick at all & it didn't seal the bead.
Both the tire & wheel beads are perfectly clean & they seat fully but the just won't totally seal...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Napa, or any other auto supplier, carries a bead sealer that comes in a can with a brush. It kind of reminds me of rubber cement. I would recommend staying away from any bead sealer that does not dry [grease], because it can cause the tire to slip on the wheel. Clean the bead on the tire and wheel very well [brake clean works well]. Pop the tire on and seat the bead. Then, deflate the tire all the way, then inflate again to proper pressure. This is how NASCAR does it to help those pesky small bead leaks.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Napa, or any other auto supplier, carries a bead sealer that comes in a can with a brush. It kind of reminds me of rubber cement.
This is the stuff I bought & didn't work.

·
Registered
140 Posts
you or someone else didnt damage the bead trying to get it on by chance? - second thing, is the bead actually popping over the safety hump on the wheel ive had atv tires that look 100% seated but the tire actually just rolled over to the lip they would hold air like that but given its gonna leak around the bead -- just things to double check

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you or someone else didnt damage the bead trying to get it on by chance? - second thing, is the bead actually popping over the safety hump on the wheel
The tire & wheel beads are in good condition & not damaged. It sure looks like the bead is seated 100%.

I actually got the bead to seal (so far), I'm just curious what people use for bead sealer...if needed.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
If the gooey black brush on stuff doesn't do it your screwed.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a Kent Automotive aerosol can of heavy duty battery sealer I used to seal the bead.
It looks & dries just like the bead sealer stuff you can buy at a parts store but this stuff is a lot thicker & works way better.
The last shop I worked at uses it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have a Kent Automotive aerosol can of heavy duty battery sealer I used to seal the bead.
It looks & dries just like the bead sealer stuff you can buy at a parts store but this stuff is a lot thicker & works way better.
The last shop I worked at uses it.

I would caution the use of any non-tire products around tires. Some compounds/sprays/ lubricates can damage rubber during long time use. This can make the rubber dry-out or get hard or soft. Proceed with caution!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts