Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was on the web and read online that Sand Tires Unlimited does not make the Sand Skate II any longer. Well I just called Sand Tires Unlimited and spoke to someone there and it is confirmed they have stopped and canceled production. And reason was "the Chinese market tires and poor sales caused this".
Now this puts me in a big dilemma that was and is the tire I currently own and use. But I need to buy a pair for my other bike so now what? Don't like other paddles too heavy and really dont care for the straight paddle don't drag race much.
Let me know what you are running on your bikes and how you like them thanks.

·
Banned
3,183 Posts
I tried to order a couple sets also. Same ending, discontinued. I am wondering how many orders they need before they make a run?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Try some skat trak edge paddles. Skat-Trak Paddle Tires I have ran the sand skate 2's, skat trak edges and haulers. I prefer the skat traks they seem to be the lightest paddle I have found.

Reactions: dham

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't know how many orders it would take but I think it was the owner I spoke to and he did sound a bit upset about it because of the tone on his voice. But if you try a group buy let me know very interested.

·
Banned
3,183 Posts
Last time I bought them they were $100 each. I would have to have my supplier call sand tires unlimmited to see what quanities we are talking about. If anyone else is interested let us know. Thanks, Tony

·
Registered
317 Posts
I refuse to buy any tire from scat track. If they used "new" tires to turn down I'd buy but 90% of tires I've run from them weather checked in 2 seasons. Flats suck. I can handle a flat on my part but quality sucks. Shitty thing is they grip the best for straight line. I'm a 1 man protest here. Current running sand scate 2's and the are a great all around tire. I have a set of near new edges but one won't hold air. Go figure.

·
Banned
3,183 Posts
I refuse to buy any tire from scat track. I have a set of near new edges but one won't hold air.
Thats what I noticed back in 1990. I have SSII's that have not leak air for 10 years. Why would I buy a tire I have to fill every time I go riding. Spend more time filling/checking tire pressure than actually loading for the trip. Then when they get low on the dunes thre bead rolls over and gets sand in there. This makes the problem even worse.

·
Registered
876 Posts
say it aint so! SSII's seem to be the best all around play tire there is...

·
Registered
504 Posts
my family and i havent had one problem with skat traks (knock on wood) ,they are great tires and if used properly they work really good,if you want a good dune skat trak get a hauler on a 10 inch rim or edge paddle,i have owned many sets of skat traks and have not had any beads leak or weather cracks ,i got a set of 6 paddle extremes that are 5 years old with no weather cracks or leaky beads ,i only had one bad set of skat traks ,the paddle started to rip off and it started to leak air underneath the paddle

sorry about hijacking the thread but i just dont like it when people start bashing on something that works really well on the sand ,sand skates are nice paddles aswill i thought about getting a set at one time ,but im more of a skat trak guy

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I have 2 sets of skate 2's myself. While they aren't the lightest tire out there, they are good about holding air pressure and are way better than Gecko's and most(if not all) of the other copies of this tire. I didn't know that scat trak didn't use new tires, but I did know that they don't their air pressure very well. They remind of flattrack tires because you have to check their pressure so often. Maybe part of the problem is people not running enough air in them to begin with. I usually run my skates at 5 or higher psi to keep sand out of the bead area.

·
Banned
3,183 Posts
my family and i havent had one problem with skat traks (knock on wood) ,they are great tires and if used properly they work really good
Were not really trying to bash Skat track. Many people and myself have found them troublesome. It might be our fault. But I really like the way the Sand Skate II's hold air. We have the steepest dunes here in the U.S. so it is important to use a quality V tire.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Were not really trying to bash Skat track. Many people and myself have found them troublesome. It might be our fault. But I really like the way the Sand
Skate II's hold air. We have the steepest dunes here in the U.S. so it is important to use a quality V tire.
ya im not trying to start anything i was just stating something ,i have seen skat traks loose air and come apart ,they just need more care then other tires,ive used skats every since i was 13 on my stock 250r so having skats came natural to have , and i know people have there favorites on what they run on there Rs

·
Registered
504 Posts
If skat track used new tires for their "retreads" id buy haulers tomorow.
ya it does suck they use old tires,it would be scary to buy a set of 200+ dollar paddles and only last so long ,some people have bad luck with them ,but myself ive had pretty good luck with them

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I myself went on Rocky Mountain ATV a few minutes ago to see what options I had left.
But when I looked at the Haulers and looked at the feedback I saw a few people had mentioned that there were retreads. And when I looked at buying them I saw they were going to be $240, now I don.t have a problem paying $240 for new tires or paddles but $240 for retreads I don't think so.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts