Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock cage with the steel reeds, It is time for an upgrade. Should I spend the $125 on a set of v-force III reeds and cage? or will a stock cage with better reed petals make a significant difference? I mainly dune ride and shoot the hill. looking for mid-top power. I am either going to get a stiffer carbon pedal for the stock reed cage, or just upgrade cages.

in other words do the v-forces make THAT BIG OF A DIFFERENCE?

stock cage modification suggestions appreciated as well.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
With the add ons you already have I think you should go for the v-force. And I also think you will notice a difference. You should also check out the 1 Dir Racing G3 reed cages. I noticed an improvement going from the Duncan Pyramid cage to those on my old cylinder.

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
The stock reeds are good, however; limited…

The VForce3’s are great Mid-Top (more Top) end set ups, the Boyesen Reeds are best suited for Low-Mid-Top (more Mid + a little Top), and the G3’s are good Mid-Top (more Mid)…

My favorite reed assembly for your application “dune ride and shoot the hill”, and what I personally use are the VForce3”s…with your 40.5MM Kehein you will benefit from a high flow reed assembly like the VForce3’s.

Carlos.

·
Registered
383 Posts
QUOTE(acecarlos @ Mar 14 2011, 11:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=63659The stock reeds are good, however; limited…

The VForce3’s are great Mid-Top (more Top) end set ups, the Boyesen Reeds are best suited for Low-Mid-Top (more Mid + a little Top), and the G3’s are good Mid-Top (more Mid)…

My favorite reed assembly for your application “dune ride and shoot the hill”, and what I personally use are the VForce3”s…with your 40.5MM Kehein you will benefit from a high flow reed assembly like the VForce3’s.

Carlos.

Carlos,

Give me your expert .02. I am doing an MX build and currently am running a stock reed setup. My new cylinder is going to be a PT national cylinder an an FMF fatty pipe. What would be my best reed setup and why. Give me as many specifics an an uneducated man may need.

Thanks, Justin.

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
QUOTE(4x4 AG @ Mar 14 2011, 01:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=63679Carlos,

Give me your expert .02. I am doing an MX build and currently am running a stock reed setup. My new cylinder is going to be a PT national cylinder an an FMF fatty pipe. What would be my best reed setup and why. Give me as many specifics an an uneducated man may need.

Thanks, Justin.

Justin:

I would run the older Vforce2’s or Boyesen Rad Valve for MX. Both offer great mid range response, and great flow. The Vforce2’s are what a lot of the “pro’s” ran before the 4 strokes came out.

The Boyesesn Rad valve is a dual stage reed system (2 pedals on top of each other), excellent flow volume, and quick throttle response.

Honestly; the top reed sets, like Boyesen, and VForce are excellent for MX…can’t go wrong with either set.

Carlos.

·
Banned
482 Posts
I have seen some dyno charts of reed cage comparisons, the best (peak hp) are the VF2 and ESR. The ESR pulled over 1hp over the VF2 (also the ESR got the highest number with a spacer the VF2 without)

The VF3 really didnt out perform any cage anywhere, it is very generic. The Rad valve was the best lowend cage. All aftermarket cages were at least 3 hp over stock with Carbonfiber pedals.

I tryed to find the charts again, but i cant find it. just remembered the results

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
QUOTE(NOS_350x @ Mar 14 2011, 11:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=63759I have seen some dyno charts of reed cage comparisons, the best (peak hp) are the VF2 and ESR. The ESR pulled over 1hp over the VF2 (also the ESR got the highest number with a spacer the VF2 without)

The VF3 really didnt out perform any cage anywhere, it is very generic. The Rad valve was the best lowend cage. All aftermarket cages were at least 3 hp over stock with Carbonfiber pedals.

I tryed to find the charts again, but i cant find it. just remembered the results

It is interesting to note the variances found in Dyno runs, testing and past experience from different sources & users.

I know lots of old “pros” that swear by VForce2’s, some that feel Boyesen’s are the ticket, and as NOS-350X pointed out others that like the ESR or VF3’s.

I can speak from personal experience, on our Dyno; VForce3’s outperform ESR & Boyesen systems every time on mid-top end builds or drag set ups. The Boyesen’s perform stronger in the Mid range & response area.

Now, this only relates to how we build, port, flow and set-up engines; it could be for other builders the results may not be the same. It is interesting to note that the last time I was at Pismo (July 4th) and ran into Eddie (ESR), he was running a set of VForce3’s on his personal engine, not an ESR valve, could of just been comparing performance to his own ESR valve...

Carlos.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Here's my reed cage experience racing mx. Most guys on here will tell you what they "heard" is a good reed cage for mx, or what they thought the top guys used to run. I've been racing mx with my 250R's for a few years now and I've ran a couple different setups. The peak horsepower number is not what you're looking for in mx. One more horsepower is not gonna win you a race. It's throttle response, specifically off idle and low end throttle response. You want that snap coming out of corners. I ran V-Force 2 reeds early on racing mx just cuz I already had them. They were like new when I started using them for mx, too. Then a good friend of mine, a former pro himself, was helping me out with my setup. He used to race for Curtis Sparks. He made a phone call to the guy that used to work for Sparks and who wrenched on his Roll Design 250R, which is sitting in my garage. He said to throw that V-Force cage in the garbage. I had an old stock reed cage that had been ported by Curtis Sparks and had worn out reeds in it. I hadn't ran it cuz I replaced it with the VF2 cage. Just didn't think about it at the time. He said to put that back in. I put it in and the throttle response, even with the worn out reeds, was much better. I was impressed. Now Sparks used to port and sell the CR250 reed setups, but mine is a ported stock cage. Pretty sweet looking. I haven't ran the Boyesen Rad Valve, but I really want to try that one out, too. I have a set of VF3's in another quad, that sees mid and top throttle most of the time in the dunes. They work great.

Enough of my rant. Honestly, I'm beginning to think more and more that these expensive reed setups are overrated. I ran a bone stock cage with dual stage carbon fiber reeds for some races last year and IMO it was at least as good for mx as the VF2's, maybe better. Everyone is different and everyone likes different power characteristics, tho.

A lot of the guys on here are mainly duner guys. Nothing against them, but seat time on a mx track is where you want to do your tweaking and t

·
Registered
981 Posts
testing parts. Just my opinion. For example, you may try a new part on the dyno and reach that magic number, then you race with it and it dogs a little more in the corners til you get up on the pipe. Meanwhile two guys just passed you. I know the dyno is a great tool for tuning, but the track is usually better.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Come on guys....how am I supposed to get any work done with this stuff going on. :) I am working from home today and bad enough I am sitting here in the forums than doing actual work. Now I want to go look at all the different reed cages in my garage!

I know I have an old VForce on my stock cylinder. (original petals)
A Boyesen Rad valve with busted petals on the bench.
A stock looking valve on the bench. (maybe CR250?)
A Moto Tassinari valve that came out of my Sparks cylinder.

Time to pick up a bunch of gaskets and start playing I guess.

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
Come on guys....how am I supposed to get any work done with this stuff going on. :) I am working from home today and bad enough I am sitting here in the forums than doing actual work. Now I want to go look at all the different reed cages in my garage!

I know I have an old VForce on my stock cylinder. (original petals)
A Boyesen Rad valve with busted petals on the bench.
A stock looking valve on the bench. (maybe CR250?)
A Moto Tassinari valve that came out of my Sparks cylinder.

Time to pick up a bunch of gaskets and start playing I guess.
Best advice yet...find out what works for you.

Carlos.

·
Registered
383 Posts
testing parts. Just my opinion. For example, you may try a new part on the dyno and reach that magic number, then you race with it and it dogs a little more in the corners til you get up on the pipe. Meanwhile two guys just passed you. I know the dyno is a great tool for tuning, but the track is usually better.
Well I have a stock setup currently. But I can't necessarily say how good or bad it is. I didn't get to run the bike much after I bought it. It needed a rebuild. But I am rebuilding it for MX use and I want to use the best setup when I am rebuilding. Plus I got started thinking reeds when I looked at my stock setup and one of the metal pedals looked bent slightly compared to the rest. I am going to keep my eye out for some used VF2 or boyseen's and maybe pick them up as am option if they are in my budget.

Thanks for everyones MX .02.

Justin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts