Honda TRX250R Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
BHP is going to port my cylinder and he said to order a blank dome if I go that route
Congratulations! I have heard nothing but good about BHP. Having a blank dome cut is the way to go. Also I can't see how adding 5mm (.19685") is going to be that big of an issue.

·
Registered
13,177 Posts
Mines an 85 I’m not sure if there’s a difference but if you don’t mind I would like to see it and maybe I understood him wrong but the guy porting my head said he would cut into the head and I wouldn’t need a spaced plate but I could be mistaken, anyone actually have a 310 stroker on an atc ? Are you happy with it
The two pictures Matuus posted above previously are from a BDT customers 310 x 76MM stroker, note the black spacer plate...this engine is a good comparison to what you are looking for in a 310 stroker WOODS engine.

Despite the miss-information being posted; On stroker builds, since the cylinder sits higher by almost 5.33MM, it does make installing or removing the spark Plug much harder on an 85-86 ATC250R...this is Not the case for TRX250R 86-89. Also keep in mind aftermarket cylinders use taller heads with a 'straight' spark plug, and not angled to the Left away from the Top Frame rail as Honda did on the OEM heads.

Their is a reason why Honda angled the spark plugs, and it had nothing to do with performance and everything to do with ease of spark plug installation & removal on the ATC250R. They kept the angled spark plug throughout the TRX250R models because of manufacturing convenience.

As you will see; with an aftermarket cylinder & head, plus a stroker crankshaft & spacer plate or taller cylinder (with built in spacer plate as matuus stated), the spark plug can be a pain to fully access easily. Their are 'tricks' that can be done, however; I will leave those tricks for your builder to detail you on.

Carlos

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
BHP is going to port my cylinder and he said to order a blank dome if I go that route
glad you made that choice. also you might try herr juggs racing. Kevin has been knocking them out of the park with banshee's for years now. he's done many a 250r. any choice other than the over bearing bragger is a good choice.

·
Registered
13,177 Posts
The OP has more than enough information to make a choice, and head in the direction he chooses. No need for a new "thread"...

As far as "these threads continually get derailed", I agree. It's always a reaction to an action, always a few that must degrade, insult, demean, attack, hate and display jealousy with BS posts and signatures; and then the reactions start, and everything spirals downward.

We all want the 'derailment' of posts to stop, however; it never will unless these few Haters grow up & move on, or out.

Carlos

·
Registered
363 Posts
WoW......

·
Registered
363 Posts
I agree! Do a build thread with lots of pictures here or on .org

Reactions: scrappy and douglas

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Ok , finally found a good oem cylinder to send out to get ported , purchased one and it ended up being cracked so had to search for another , The guy I’m having port my cylinder was talking about possibly using the 68 mm yz250 piston since I’m going stroker , mailing my cylinder out on Monday not sure how long it will take but I’ll upload before and after pics when it returns , thoughts about the yz piston in a stroker engine

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
you will need a thicker spacerplate.just to run the yz piston you need to run a 2mm spacer.just stick with oem piston.and you couldnt find a 66-67mm one so you have more bores left?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
The cylinder is at 67.50 so it’s not that far off , I was just fishing for info on the yz piston . I don’t ride the three wheeler often enough to worry about running out of bores on the cylinder I only get it out about 6 times a year .

·
Registered
13,177 Posts
Ok , finally found a good oem cylinder to send out to get ported , purchased one and it ended up being cracked so had to search for another , The guy I’m having port my cylinder was talking about possibly using the 68 mm yz250 piston since I’m going stroker , mailing my cylinder out on Monday not sure how long it will take but I’ll upload before and after pics when it returns , thoughts about the yz piston in a stroker engine
IMO using a YZ250R Piston in a stroker crankshaft (=>4MM added stroke) is a mistake, the wrong approach, and NOT in line with the current Higher Performance setups being built, this type of build is 'old school' thinking. However; these kind of questions are really best for the Builder ("guy I’m having port my cylinder") to answer...at the end of the day, he owns the build & performance.

Carlos

·
Registered
454 Posts
proex. wossner. weseco.

i have the best. bdt built engines.
bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt431 puma
bdt561 saber
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 58 of 58 Posts