Honda TRX250R Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Can't go wrong with a esr cylinder. You could get a builder port it and have it set up for a plus 4 stroker crank. Have it set up for the woods riding that you do.

·
Registered
633 Posts
No replacement for displacement. Big bores will produce low end torque, allowing you to short shift and use lower rpm range. Perfect for the woods. Porting and pipe are key. 310 kits performed very well in the hay day of the trx250r in the GNCCs.

Obviously a big bore that is setup incorrectly would be a nightmare in the woods. Riding a real pipey motor is difficult to keep traction and will wear you out.

My old 330 non PV Prox cylinder was absolutely incredible. In sand trails, I could leave it a gear high coming out of a corner, roll the gas and would power out super smooth. No clutch, but all smiles

In the big picture of performance, the cost difference between modifying a stock cylinder vs buying an aftermarket is minimal. After market cylinders offer further bore options.

Best regards
-Jason

·
Registered
457 Posts
stroked motors = bottom power. been told n my experience. get 310 n get ported 4 stroked crank.

i have the best. bdt built engines.
bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt431 puma
bdt561 saber
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
if you need to replace your crankshaft go +4.if you don't stick with the oem crank.if you don't have a cylinder under 68mm or cant find one then go with a 310.but porting will cost the same esr or oem and will cost $350-$500 for either one.if you just buy a stock ported 310 you wont be happy.it wont really make anymore power than an oem cylinder.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks for the input American opel , not sure about the sprocket bolts that’s what was on it when I got it just making lite of my situation I’m know my engine isn’t that powerful, I think I’ve made up my mind to buy an esr cylinder and 4 mil crank and have it ported . By the time I buy a used cylinder, get it bored and buy a piston and rings I’ll have $400 in an oem cylinder and Esr sells a new one for $700 , 310 or 330 is the next question? I have the 38mm carb and an ESR atc Pipe already so I don’t want to buy a bigger pipe if I have to go 330 . Speak about the atc esr pipe I have been very pleased with it , a lot of people complained about the chrome coming off of theirs but I ride mine in mud all the time and my chrome is fine

·
Registered
457 Posts
if 330 u have to bore cases. 310 not.

bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt431 puma
bdt561 saber

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I’m back and forth on what I want to do , definitely going stroker and I want the 310 kit but not if spark plugs are gonna be an issue I have the money to get the 310 kit I just want to make sure it won’t be a hassle . Everyone talks about after the stroker I will be able to hang with 450s , I’m out running them now . I beat a new raptor 700 easily. I’m putting that engine on my trx and wanted to build a stroker for the atc . It’s winter time in Ohio and I’m bored 😑

·
Registered
369 Posts
I just use 2 spark plug washers in my 310. At first I thought it would be a hassle, but in reality I don't have to change my plug often enough to really be a factor. My 310 stroker is a very fun engine. I pulled it from my trx and am going to toss it in my atc. I think it's going to be a blast riding the atc with a stock swinger and my 310. Every year at the 250R gathering in Oregon people want to race me on the dunes. I guess to see if they can beat my 310 they felt they were fast. People started calling it the yard stick lol

·
Registered
226 Posts
I’m back and forth on what I want to do , definitely going stroker and I want the 310 kit but not if spark plugs are gonna be an issue I have the money to get the 310 kit I just want to make sure it won’t be a hassle . Everyone talks about after the stroker I will be able to hang with 450s , I’m out running them now . I beat a new raptor 700 easily. I’m putting that engine on my trx and wanted to build a stroker for the atc . It’s winter time in Ohio and I’m bored 😑
I have a 310 on my atc and use normal plugs i have plenty of room. It's on a 86.i will take a pic if you need be but I never have had a problem changing out plugs.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I think if you run Eddie's dome you shouldn't have a problem using a regular length plug. My 310 has a blank dome that Pete machined.

·
Registered
457 Posts
stroker adds spacer plate. plug harder to get on-off on atc.

bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt431 puma
bdt561 saber

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Mines an 85 I’m not sure if there’s a difference but if you don’t mind I would like to see it and maybe I understood him wrong but the guy porting my head said he would cut into the head and I wouldn’t need a spaced plate but I could be mistaken, anyone actually have a 310 stroker on an atc ? Are you happy with it

·
Registered
226 Posts
Mines an 85 I’m not sure if there’s a difference but if you don’t mind I would like to see it and maybe I understood him wrong but the guy porting my head said he would cut into the head and I wouldn’t need a spaced plate but I could be mistaken, anyone actually have a 310 stroker on an atc ? Are you happy with it
I will post some when I get home no problem buddy

·
Registered
457 Posts
u can buy esr cylind tall. built in spacer. no need 4 spacer. its tall cylind.

bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt431 puma
bdt561 saber

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
when running a lr crank and stroker crank it will raise the cylinder up a lot and make it hard to get the plug in.there isn't enough room in the head to take up that much space.if you have a sr crank stroked it wont be as bad but most don't do that.so you will need the spacerplate and it's tight.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts