Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may purchase a new carb, not sure if i should get a pwk or the air striker version and what size? 87 trx250r fmf pipe and spark arrestor with a rad valve. Also will these carbs bolt right on? Eddie sanders says you need the upp intake, I'm confused as i have the rad valve installed. Thanks

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
Choices in order, all will bolt on without mods:

Short Body AS
Standard AS
PWK

Best intake boot as far as performance: OEM, not UPP (OEM will stretch nicely over 36-41MM)

If you have the "Rad Valve", you don't need another intake, use the Rad Valve with the SB-AS, PWK or Standard AS.

Carlos

·
Registered
370 Posts
Keep in mind that if you have a 30+ year old OEM intake boot you may have to heat the rubber up in order to get a 38mm carb to fit. The rubber gets hard and loses its elasticity over time. I have used 2 methods to soften the intake enough to stretch it over my carbs. 1 is to submerge it in boiling water. 2 is to use a heat gun and gently warm. After I get them in the boot and hose clamp installed I will reheat it to help it form over the carb. If running the OEM airbox and OEM airbox boot you will have to do the same to make the carb bell fit. You can also have a machine shop or ESR machine the carb to fit in the OEM boot.
As far as carburetor size goes any of 38mm carbs(short body as, as, and pwk)will be an improvement over the OEM 34mm pj carb.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great! Thanks for all the advice. I am still undecided on which carb. Its basically for trail riding. I think i may purchase a new boyesen boot. Mine looks quite dry rotted

·
Registered
217 Posts
Silicone spray on the boot as well to get it nice and slippery for a short period of time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts