Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there just seeing if anyone here locally around me ( houston, texas ) has any recommendation or experience welding in a pumashine complete kit on my 1987 trx250r

·
Registered
287 Posts
I don't live in your area, but I can offer a little advice.
First I would ask you a few questions:
What weld process will you be using? MIG or TIG are the only realistic options in my opinion.
What level of experience do you have?
What size is your welder?
I have a miller 250 MiG welder that I have used and a airco hig frequency TiG welder.
Welding a gusset kit in with my mig machine I used .030 solid wire with 75/25 shielding gas. I set the machine at around 17 volts and wire speed should be around 180-200 inches per minute.
Tig welding a gusset kit I used .045" filler and 65-70 amps with straight argon shielding gas. You could also use 1/16" filler if you want.
Don't go too fast as its not a race. You can do damage by overheating your 30+ year old frame.
I personally prefer tig welding gussets because I can lay short welds and skip around from gusset to gusset. That way I don't put too much heat in one place.
I also reccomend checking out a thread on trx250r.org that Tony(pumashine) posted detailing how to install his gusset kit.
Loren

·
Registered
366 Posts
Loren I may have to link up with you and have you do my 88 frame when I'm ready. I'll be having Pete build the motor for it maybe drop it off at same time lol.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sure Darren no problem. I'm about an hour north of Pete so drop it off there and I will come get it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts