Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought i post up a few pics of the 86 project i picked up a few weeks ago. Its my first 250R so im pretty amped about building it up
:p

Its pretty much all stock from what i can tell (havent been inside motor) other than fmf exhaust.

Im planning to build a solid Xc bike out of it, but on a limited budget. So frame and a few other things probably staying stock for now...

Hope to get started on it this winter a little and finish up by mid summer if i have the extra $$. Now im just researching what will be a good low end setup, yet reliable. good suspension decently priced etc.

Think im going to go w/ a blue and black color scheme or all black maybe.

Ill get some pics as i go along.

Any suggestions on a good Xc setup feel free to chime in. I was thinking of trying to find a nice longrod motor for now (because id like to have a spare anyway) then rebuilding my 86 w/ oem longrod crank, good lowend porting and pipe etc.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol im not even bothering w/ the other pics i have they're too small to see. Is there anyway to post bigger pics on here?

·
Registered
413 Posts
thats definitely a project bike. :lol: good luck with the build, keep us posted.

i host my images on photobucket.com you can post full sized ones from there too.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the tips

It definatley is a project lol, but thats what i wanted really. Since i planned on going through it all and building to my riding style. Couldnt see spending $3000+ on one thats "setup" when it more than likely would need alot changed to suit me anyways.

Plus i love frame up projects, good leaning experience and keeps me outta trouble ;)

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
That is the best way to do it. Find one cheap and then build it your way.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is the best way to do it. Find one cheap and then build it your way.
Ya definately ends up being cheaper in the long run too most of the time.

I notice alot of ppl swapping frames, is this mainly because of weight? Or are the stock frames weak? I dunno if i can afford a frame swap, but i do plan on riding it hard Mostly Xc but some jumping etc here and there. The frame looks tuff to me, and the one i have is original no repairs, welds, cracks or anything like that. Will it hold up? Need gusseted?

Thanks

·
Registered
206 Posts
gussets wouldn't hert but you should be fine just keep an eye out for crack as time goes on. i am still running a stock frame and i had a one crack. welded it up and it been fine sence.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As for cracks, keep an eye out where the swingarm pivot bolt mounts down near the foot peg on both sides. Also, check the frame near the top of the steering stem. These are common places for cracks. Gussets are a good idea if you can't go aftermarket. Mine has gussets and is holding up well. But, my last frame was not gusseted at the swingarm pivot bolt and in the middle of a dune ride it broke through and through in two places on the left side. Then the swingarm was allowed to rack to the left and threw the chain. The chain then took out the case saver and knocked a very small hole in the left side case (fortunately is was repairable). When I fixed the frame I had it gusseted and never had problems again. Also, without the case saver the left side case would have been toast. So, gusset those frames and use case savers. Just my experience and $.02

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the tips, im more than likely going to gusset it just for peace of mind if anything.
And i always run case savers on my bike. Seen to many motors pretty much trashed for lack of a $10 part. It might not save them all but ive seen plenty of good saves in person.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I put a gusset kit on mine from rath racing. Turned out really nice.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Id probably make my own, but just out of curiousity what do those kits run? Might be worth it just to buy some pre fabbed and tack em in.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Cracks ???

like theses ?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I think I paid about $75 for the kit from rath. It had about 15 peices. All laser cut nice. Nothing fancy though. If I did it again, I would maybe drill a hole in the center of some of them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
for Powdercoating hit up bill...has the best pricing and the best work i have ever seen
top notch shit

1 - 17 of 17 Posts