Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a used one from a buddy thet had it on a YFZ- need to know which coil wire to splice into-

Can ya help me out?

·
Registered
143 Posts
if you are going to the coil, i dont think it should matter, since it is AC.

I always ran mine into the wire for the kill switch on the handle bar. I think its the black with white stripe wire. Not possitive though.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I have mine going into the wires that were for the original key switch. I don't think all years for the R had a factory key switch, but 88 and 89 did for sure. I still have the original kill/light switch wired in as well.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
On my dad's z400, we went directly to the coil.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd like to find a "how to" section on this site from someone but I can't fint it. Pro-Derign doesnt have an installation info on their website. Makes me no difference where I tie into just don't want domething to go wrong.

·
Registered
206 Posts
To wire it to the coil i believe you want to go to the black wire.

·
Registered
128 Posts
On my dad's z400, we went directly to the coil.
i've heard horror stories about n/o kill switches on those i put one on my buddies and we had to put a relay in it so it doesnt fry coils check out z400central.net they explain why better than me but i'd rewire that

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just installed a new one last week. The directions say to put the short wire on a chasis ground and the long wire on the positive side of the coil. When I get home tonight I'll look at mine and let you know which wire is the postive, for sure.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The wire on the pull knob is a chassis ground. The wire on the base (attached to the handle bars) is the positive wire. This attaches to the black wire with the white stripe on the coil. Good luck!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Predator- I'll give it a try tonight!

Man I really appreciate it-

Talked to ProDesign and they treated me like a stray dog- wouldn't give me any help but questioned why I got a used one. I guess it was since I didn't buy a new one, don't know. They wanted me to send in the switch for testing and then they would send me instructions. They can shove it in my opinion, I have bought tons of their stuff over the years.

Thanks for the help and I am really thankful for the site (AGAIN).

You guys are life savers.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks Predator- I'll give it a try tonight!

Man I really appreciate it-

Talked to ProDesign and they treated me like a stray dog- wouldn't give me any help but questioned why I got a used one. I guess it was since I didn't buy a new one, don't know. They wanted me to send in the switch for testing and then they would send me instructions. They can shove it in my opinion, I have bought tons of their stuff over the years.

Thanks for the help and I am really thankful for the site (AGAIN).

You guys are life savers.

It wasn't you. I called them and had a question and the people who talk on the phone only know who to take orders. I would have had better luck asking my dog that is dumb than a box of rocks.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
The instructions that come with them don't help much either. They are very generic and not atv specific.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts