Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost feel embarrassed asking this question, since oil preference is so highly debated/discussed, but I haven’t seen anything that directly addresses preferred oils for PV cylinders.

Historically, I’ve used Maxima 927 at 32:1 with 110 in non-PV cylinders. I’m a 927 believer and it will continue to be my preference.

However, I will soon be running an ESR E2 cylinder with PV. I’ve read that castor based oils can gum up the PV, so a synthetic can be preferred to avoid this issue.

For those running PV cylinders, what oils have you found to be successful? Or do you still run castor based oil and deal with the gumming by maintaining/cleaning the PV at some frequency?

I’ve been looking at Maxima K2 & Klotz R-50. I know LED recommends Dumonde Tech, but it’s not easy to get near me.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Yeah, Maxima 927 does gum up power valves. I used to use it in my Duncan 340 because Loren actually recommended it. But I got tired of having to clean the power valve so often, it left behind a kind of thick black syrupe. I now use K2 and Klotz with no problems. I especially like the Klotz--it smells good.

·
Super Moderator
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, Maxima 927 does gum up power valves. I used to use it in my Duncan 340 because Loren actually recommended it. But I got tired of having to clean the power valve so often, it left behind a kind of thick black syrupe. I now use K2 and Klotz with no problems. I especially like the Klotz--it smells good.
Thanks for the info! Just curious, which version of Klotz are you using?

·
Registered
632 Posts
I use their Super Techniplate which is 80% synthetic and 20% castor. They also make a full synthetic, the R-50, which they recommend for power valve engines, but I haven't had a problem with the Super Techniplate.

·
Super Moderator
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I think I’m going to go with Klotz R-50. I’ve heard good things from a few people, and it’s intended for engines with PVs. The only slight concern is that the flashpoint is the highest of most (all?) 2 stroke premix oils.

Thanks to the guys at TRX250R.org, they turned me onto this thread (2-Stroke Pre-mix Oils Specs) and this Google Sheets (Oil Specs - Google Drive), where the flash points and viscosities of all of the common 2 stroke premix oils are listed.

·
Super Moderator
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use their Super Techniplate which is 80% synthetic and 20% castor. They also make a full synthetic, the R-50, which they recommend for power valve engines, but I haven't had a problem with the Super Techniplate.
Just confirming, you haven’t had any issues with Super Techniplate and gumming up or impacting your PV at all?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Just confirming, you haven’t had any issues with Super Techniplate and gumming up or impacting your PV at all?
No, no problems, but I haven't cleaned it in a while. You may want to go with R-50 since they specifically recommend it. I also have a bunch of non-PV machines so I run the Techniplate in everything--it's also less expensive.

·
Super Moderator
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up going with Klotz R-50 based on the recommendations I’ve received and that it’s a full-synthetic, formulated for PV engines. My only hesitation was the high flash point, but since it will primarily be used in a racing application, I don’t foresee that being an issue, but more likely a benefit. Oh, and it has a “racy scent”😆 Thanks, everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts