Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this TRX250R from a guy and the person that owned it before him spared no expense on creating a high performance machine. Once I purchased it the guy who sold it to me was not honest on the amount of hours that were on the quad. I was able to use it two times before taking the bike out and blowing it up. We took the cylinder to a local shop and they bore it out to fit a new piston. Once we finally got the piston and cylinder back and put it back together today it will not rev and putts along. We have tried trouble shooting everything we have seen on this forum and now we are lost. The carb, jetting, gaskets, fuel lines, intake, output, etc. For some reason the bike still just will not go. We also saw that you were speaking of taking spacer plates off because of the size and type of piston being used and we determined that it does not have the spacer plate, so that should not be the reason either.
We are lost, please help because I am really getting discouraged that I have such a nice bike that I can't ride.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
This may be a long shot but the ignition system could of went bad all at once or just one of them will cause this, I only know this from experience myself. I racedone weekend after the lsr I have was done the first time andthe next weekend I went to silver lake and the bike wouldn't run rite at all. So I started changing all electrical components and found that my stator/coil/and cdi all went out at one time. The bike would run but had no power at all to ride it.

·
Registered
898 Posts
a perfectly good running 250r will easily blow up in less then 2 hours if its not properly jetted ... or if you have no idea what the motor is doing . if your not familuar with 2 strokes a high performance 250r is really not the machine to learn on unless you have real deep pockets. i could throw our 20 questions ,,, but doubt from your post if you could answer them,

·
Registered
284 Posts
No offense but by chance could the piston be in backwards? Just a thought....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually my boyfriend is quite experienced with working on 2 stroke motors and has a Yamaha YZ250 and 490. He is the reason that I have the bike and I know a little bit myself but he has trouble shot the bike for a day and a half and no dice. So, I can answer a few questions before you ask. First of all right before the piston went out on the bike it ran perfect, no sputtering and it would eat any bike in its tracks. Nothing was changed, removed, or tampered with we removed the Pro Design Cool Head and removed the piston and cylinder. The cylinder was scarred and had to be bore out to a larger size. The dome was smoothed back out waiting for reinstall. We bought a piston and rings, cleaned everything up and placed it back together,exactly as we had taken it apart. We checked the carb and it is clean and clear, the reeds were completely in tact, the compression is fine. When we kick the bike it starts on 1 or 2 and idles fine. The spark plug is brand new and sparks just fine. When you put a load on it and put it in gear it will not come up onto the power band.

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
can you take pics of the bike/motor/setup

what carb do you have?
and jet settings?

what does the plug look like?

air filter clean? reeds in good condition?

silencer not plugged?

is the clutch slipping does it rev and not go anywhere?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG This is the piston that came out of my quad. Just in case you want to see if I know what a piston is. Please take me seriously, even though I am a chick, I am not a stupid one. I work on my bike just like the guys do.

·
Banned
511 Posts
What is the compression? Are you sure the rings are in their correct position,they could've rotated when fitting piston to cylinder. Not to make it sound like you dont know what your doing,but typically when somethings not right after a major repair,its usually self induced. We all get in a hurry or overlook things in frustration. Start from step one,take your time and go back through every step of the repair,good luck!
Edit: Snowmaker beat me to it while I was typing..lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the piston were in backwards would it start and idle properly? Because it starts first or second kick and idles just fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Carb is a Keihin and he is out there checking that right now. He is also gonna pull the jets out and check them too. The clutch grabs fine, it just doesn't rev. The plug is brand new and fine, first thing we checked.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
A piston has a openingin it and that goes to the carb side, and if it were me I would check the electrical now. Any electrical item can go bad at any given time even new out of the box, that is why I have many extra stock ignition pieces because I can't afford a cr250 ignition.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts