Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my pro x 310 back from bdt it is my 86 short rod and the head stay bolt is about 1/16 off. Just to the point I can't bend it enough to get it in. What am I missing? I don't need to run a spacer with the 86 right? Just took off my stock cylinder so I know everything was fine. Also should the piston come up all the way to the top of the cylinder? Like literally the top. It has a 28 dome

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone? Again any advice is appreciated but is the piston in a short rod pro x 310 supposed to come up to the very top of the cylinder to flush? And like I stared above my head stay is about 1/16 off. Its like I need a spaced plate but I don't think I need a spacer plate for a short rod? As this a common issue or could I have the wrong head or something? Sent them together to bdt so I'm pretty sure they would know whats going on

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Was your 310 cylinder new? Did it get decked? Could the head have been shaved? A short rod with a short rod piston does not have a spacer. I would contact your builder and have him explain why parts aren't going together as they should. Or maybe you should consider a better builder.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Pretty sure Carlos will tell you same thing he told me..... don’t worry about it, bend them out of the way or do like I did & cut them off. I had to notch out the cross member then had it welded closed. He should be on here at some point & verify. If you need answers call BDT, they always pick up the phone & Carlos has been know to even give out his cell number if need be.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My esr head stay comes up short to. I didn't bother with the bolt.. Just leave it like that and it'd be fine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't run a head stay on my 88 LS frame. Never had a issue with it so I really don't think about it..lol.
But definitely call BDT and talk to Carlos before assuming or whatever, he will have your answers!! Just my thoughts on the matter.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The pro x 310 cylinder I bought was not new. I am not positive if it was decked? Can the pro x heads with removable domes be decked? Could I just put a smaller bolt through it and run the headstay like that? Is this a sign my squish could be too small? Its getting straight 110

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am a welder and we have a machine shop here. What do you think about milling out the hole on the pro x head to give me the clearance to get the bolt through

·
Registered
12,861 Posts
anyone? Again any advice is appreciated but is the piston in a short rod pro x 310 supposed to come up to the very top of the cylinder to flush? And like I stared above my head stay is about 1/16 off. Its like I need a spaced plate but I don't think I need a spacer plate for a short rod? As this a common issue or could I have the wrong head or something? Sent them together to bdt so I'm pretty sure they would know whats going on
I don't run a head stay on my 88 LS frame. Never had a issue with it so I really don't think about it..lol.
But definitely call BDT and talk to Carlos before assuming or whatever, he will have your answers!! Just my thoughts on the matter.
The pro x 310 cylinder I bought was not new. I am not positive if it was decked? Can the pro x heads with removable domes be decked? Could I just put a smaller bolt through it and run the headstay like that? Is this a sign my squish could be too small? Its getting straight 110
As an FYI...Your cylinder was not decked, or height altered. Why it does not align with your stay is common on some aftermarket cylinders, heads and OEM or aftermarket frames.

As stated by Ushuldaboughtahonda....you don't need the head stay attached to the engine, do run it attached to the frame. Most don't attached the head stay to the engine as it is better for engine life & reliability not to run it attached.

Your squish should be around .050"-.065" for optimum performance. You can check it using the solder test method....the method I wrote can be found here: Bdtm solder squish test (sqt)

Carlos

·
Registered
313 Posts
never run stay 2 motor. 2 frame only. in sc none do.

i have the best. bdt built engines.
bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt431 puma
bdt561 saber
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts