Honda TRX250R Forums banner

21 - 40 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
12,970 Posts
"OK"...let's take this discussion into an area that should interest everyone...

You will agree Drag Racing is dead, and honestly that is why I won't build a BDTM Drag ride, just not enough interest or competition (not to take away from anyones accomplishments), I would be all over it if the entiies in Single Cylinder Classes showed more than 6 for Planet Sand's premier events or for any major ATV drag race. I got the 6 entires by looking at the last two years of Planet Sand entries for all single Cylinder classes, if I recall correctly; this was 6 entries for each Single Cylinder class, however; all belonging to 3-4 teams. Not what I would call a competitive atmosphere.

Drag ATV racing needs an infusion, or more like a major transfusion, it's not working in it's current format. The Drag patient will be completely Dead in 12 to 36 months. How do we fix this (honest question)?

PS: ATV FAN 28: Yup, I believe that is the ride, and yes, a strong runner!

Carlos

·
Banned
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The record for under 475 cc.....did you ever notice it. We'd shatter it :)

the problem with classes is, it limits myself from running Packard. Anybody that thinks they are fast should all measure themselves up to Packard, he has been the class leader or close to it since the beginning. His Saber is flat nasty.
You can set a class record at any time during the event. It must also be backed up during that same event. I believe tnt passes may also count to records.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Im really just starting to be amused. As a big shop that builds the best motors and a whole lot of them...what is building 1 drag motor to represent yourself in the industry to back up all your statements? As a builder you could build a motor, run it, get r&d from it (because power is power no matter surface you are on), then sell it and still make money off of it. Why wouldnt you want to build a shop motor for competition? Its a tax write off... In all honesty you got the race that YOU asked for and now you are not even into dirt racing? The worlds biggest and best trx250r advocate? Get a hill chassis and run it wherever you want, put struts in it for asphalt and 300ft and shocks to go tear everybody up on the hill that doubt you. Then part it out and never lose a dollar? Ive lost the respect that i had after reading this.

You could run this chassis anywhere and it would increase your internet sales if it was your picture with a big ole chrome pipe hanging out the side. Ill give you a good price and you will already be ahead of most of the competition. :)
DSC01344.jpg

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I am honestly interested in hearing why you guys spend so much money on a bike that only does 1 thing (go in a straight line), and only does it on 1 type of terrain (sand)? I'm not trying to bash anyone by any means; and if you have the extra coin to spend then more power to you. I'm just wondering what makes this fun enough to justify the time and money? I can slap paddles on my bike one weekend and go to Silver Lake, then throw the knobbies on the next weekend and play in the dirt. These are bikes built for one purpose. The drag bikes are badass, i'll admit that.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I am honestly interested in hearing why you guys spend so much money on a bike that only does 1 thing (go in a straight line), and only does it on 1 type of terrain (sand)? I'm not trying to bash anyone by any means; and if you have the extra coin to spend then more power to you. I'm just wondering what makes this fun enough to justify the time and money? I can slap paddles on my bike one weekend and go to Silver Lake, then throw the knobbies on the next weekend and play in the dirt. These are bikes built for one purpose. The drag bikes are badass, i'll admit that.
ATV Fan is right, most guys in our group all have play bikes along with their drag bikes. Racing in general is an American tradition, look at Nascar, funny car, top fuel, etc. Street racing, boats, jet ski's, there is racing in everything that we do, and if you have it in your blood, and have the funds for it, this is no different then any other hobby that people have in terms of spending time/money on something you enjoy

·
Registered
941 Posts
most guys who have drag bikes also have other bikes they can play on also.

Wayne is right. Most people who have a drag bike own other bikes or a rzr. When we go to the dunes we ride the dunes on the play bikes all day and night then in the evening when it cools off we drag. OMW has won the single cylinder class the past several races if I remember right. Just a fair and honest opinion is that OMW will dominate nearly any single cylinder 300' drag event. If you have ever seen one of their bikes run you know what I am talking about.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Guys spend money on them because they like to win. Sure you can take an mx build and line up at the dunes but you'll get your ass handed to you by the guys with the drag oriented bikes. I was hooked on the straight line stuff a few years a go but racing died out around here a long with my interest. I did have a blast with it. Anyone ever see a utility play with drag banshees?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Wayne is right. Most people who have a drag bike own other bikes or a rzr. When we go to the dunes we ride the dunes on the play bikes all day and night then in the evening when it cools off we drag. OMW has won the single cylinder class the past several races if I remember right. Just a fair and honest opinion is that OMW will dominate nearly any single cylinder 300' drag event. If you have ever seen one of their bikes run you know what I am talking about.
4 strokes own the event and with the Raptors and DS stuff out there, its crazy

·
Registered
919 Posts
Its all about the competition and racing. I cant afford to get hurt jumping hills and running into trees so i go fast lol. Just as stated, we all have other bikes. For me I love building really high performance motors and playing with power adders and different fuels. Its just bad ass! Ive raced all kinds of atv racing but i love some burning alcohol and little 2 stroke motors making 3 4 5 6 7 times the stock hp turning bout 10 grand or more all the way down the track lol

·
Registered
112 Posts
My closest track is run by Mark Horst (Goodsound) his DS is flat out nuts and thats an oem frame. OMW definitely has it figured out.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I live in Bakersfield so of coarse I will be there its my backyard,I'm not the fastest but I'm always ready to race ,time for a strict diet and exercise and to think of chassis and motor setup,love me some 300ft

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I was at LS when Shearer made the 2300 mile trek from Cali to Oklahoma for a grudge match last Oct... I think it was against something like M&M (does that sound right)? Anyway, Matt's got a killer fast ATC 3 wheeler too. Seemed like a nice guy. Point being there wasn't much of a sanctioned event at LS and he still brought it, got to respect that... I don't know if he won or not, really was not important.

As far as drag bikes go, I can definitely see the fun and comradre in that! Since the wheel was invented there will always be someone trying to make it faster which in turn breeds competition! Competition brings out the best in all... Most drag guys I know have SEVERAL other bikes and only pull out the drag bikes in the morning or late afternoon early evening.

I honestly don't think I have the cojones to ride a super fast drag bike! With age comes a cage, so I think a UTV build is in the near future.

·
Registered
712 Posts
think it was 2 years ago, maybe at AVI, where Matt ran a 3.70 pass on his saber with N20. Packard was also their but cant remember if they ran together. I dont even recall if Matt backed it up. Now, all these Raptor and DS powered bikes are running in the .70's for T n T. K&T made a .55 pass a couple years ago also. For us Honda guys to really be competitive today, we need power adder's and midget jockey's :)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Drag racing brings out all kinds for sure. Dan and I went down to the dunes 3-4 years ago together on a random Oct weekend and there was this group from Louisiana I think, and one of them had a blaster running on nitro, the bike was cobbled up and ugly as sin, but it was super fast for a blaster!! Crazy dude though! I guess you just got to have "it" in the blood.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
think it was 2 years ago, maybe at AVI, where Matt ran a 3.70 pass on his saber with N20. Packard was also their but cant remember if they ran together. I dont even recall if Matt backed it up. Now, all these Raptor and DS powered bikes are running in the .70's for T n T. K&T made a .55 pass a couple years ago also. For us Honda guys to really be competitive today, we need power adder's and midget jockey's :)
What's the limiting factors on the big single Honda's? Surely it ain't cc's is it?

·
Registered
712 Posts
What's the limiting factors on the big single Honda's? Surely it ain't cc's is it?
This is a good question, and you will probably get alot of different opinions. IMO, some of these DS and Raptor motors are pushing close to 1000cc's, have E85/Q16 fuel and can still run a power adder like a turbo or NOS with Fuel Injection, so you can dyno tune it. We are half their cc's, and run alky but no power adder, so we are playing catch up just off their motor, which by the way, makes TONS of Torque.

·
Registered
12,970 Posts
Plus to add to Duner's point; we are limited by what the bottom end can take, going over 560CC brings up all sorts of problems. What we would need is a new bottom end to accept a huge Single displacement, or a new bottom end to accept a twin Honda BB displacement. A lot of work to make a Huge Single run, and stay together IMO

Carlos

21 - 40 of 124 Posts