Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after searching for a easy way to remove the old pivot bolt bearings the easiest way I found was to chisel the old bearing race basically splitting it and running the rod back through to pop them out. Well after getting the bearings out it appears that someone beat the heck out of the swingarm part where the bearing sits with a chisel. 0914131313.jpg (probably from previous bearing removal attempts) I put the new bearings in with a same sized socket and they went in hard. Then attempted to put the rod in and it wouldnt go. Gave a few taps and ruined the brand new bearings. Had to do the same thing to the new bearings as the old to get them out. Now Im getting a dremel tool to clean up the area where the bearings sit because it seems to tight for the new ones and it basically crushed them on the install. Has anyone ran into this problem at all. That rod is suppose to slide into the new bearings easily right?? I know theres not suppose to be play but you should'nt have to tap in with a hammer right?? New bearings are on order so hopefully doing it twice it will be nice.:lol:

·
Registered
75 Posts
They should really be pressed in. I was able to put the bearings in the freezer for about 30 mins so they shrunk some, lube up the swing arm, and pressed them in with a socket and vise. Do not use a hammer!

·
Registered
124 Posts
You can make your own tool to remove and install swingarm bearings real cheap. 3/8 all thread some washers and nuts. I've never had to touch a swingarm bearing with a hammer. Just sayin.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They should really be pressed in. I was able to put the bearings in the freezer for about 30 mins so they shrunk some, lube up the swing arm, and pressed them in with a socket and vise. Do not use a hammer!
I hadnt realized they were pressed in I just assumed they should fit snug. My bad.:confused:
You can make your own tool to remove and install swingarm bearings real cheap. 3/8 all thread some washers and nuts. I've never had to touch a swingarm bearing with a hammer. Just sayin.
Im not sure how the washers would grab the bearing race to pull out. I can see using this on install but the swingarm has a stop as you can see in my pic above for the bearings that doesnt allow you to get behind them to pull out I can see on the 86-87 swingarms where the center is open possibly. Thanks for the ideas though for reinstall.. Freeze em and use some all thread sounds better than hammer and socket:eek:

·
Registered
989 Posts
I hadnt realized they were pressed in I just assumed they should fit snug. My bad.:confused:

Im not sure how the washers would grab the bearing race to pull out. I can see using this on install but the swingarm has a stop as you can see in my pic above for the bearings that doesnt allow you to get behind them to pull out I can see on the 86-87 swingarms where the center is open possibly. Thanks for the ideas though for reinstall.. Freeze em and use some all thread sounds better than hammer and socket:eek:
are you sure that's not just a bearing race left behind from a previous improper install,

I've replaced several different types of swing arm bearings and none had stops, but several had the old race well seated into the race way,

however ive never done a stock 88/89 maybe they do have a stop but I would check it to make sure

·
Registered
124 Posts
Can you post a picture from the opposite side? I'm with DnB and think there is an old race still in there. I've also never seen a stop for a swing arm bearing but I've not been into every swinger out there. With the all thread you still use a socket but you run the all thread thru a half inch drive socket and back it up with the washer then nut. I think there is a youtube video of a guy doing swinger bearings on a dirt bike you should check out.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well I went and looked again and I dont think they're old bearing races because it takes up the entire distance between the bearings. any bearings Ive seen it would need like 3 races to reach between where the bearings sit. It does look like 2 spacers in there one being longer than the other but are pressed in if they are spacers and not part of the swingarm. The stock microfiche shows no such spacer exists though. Can anyone tell me if its suppose to be the same size hole all the way through the swingarm. How do you know you have the bearings in far enough or not in too far if there is no stopper for it? obviously you can just pull them in until the seal/cap go on but mine seems to stop on this spacer or the ends of the swingarm are machined out for the bearings. A special blind hole bearing puller is probably what Honda has listed in the srvc manual for it. another pic with the bearings removed but not cleaned up yet. 0914131314.jpg chain guide side of swingarm so What you see deep in the hole is what Im calling the bearing stop. Both are the same distance from the end. I cant believe someone would just push old races in and install new bearings. but wouldn't surprise me. something strange going on here. If I can find an exact fit washer maybe I will see if these so called spacers or old races move. Like I said unless I cant see where 2 of them meet there has to be 3 races in there to make up the distance between the 2 bearings if thats whats in there thats why it doesnt make sense to me.

·
Registered
989 Posts
if its not a painted swing arm , take some heat to the swing arm if they are just old bearings they will move with a socket and extension and a little persuasion from a press or a small hit

·
Registered
124 Posts
I looked at the parts diagram and I was confused with your setup. That does not look like old races still in there. It does look like there is a bit of damage inside there that is not helping you out at all. In your first post you mentioned a rod that you tried to install after both the bearings were in. If this rod was honda part #52141-HB9-770, you need to install bearing on one side first then install part #52141-HB9-770 then install other bearing. This part is supposed to go between the bearings. If you have ever done wheel bearings on a motorcycle wheel, its the same setup. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I looked at the parts diagram and I was confused with your setup. That does not look like old races still in there. It does look like there is a bit of damage inside there that is not helping you out at all. In your first post you mentioned a rod that you tried to install after both the bearings were in. If this rod was honda part #52141-HB9-770, you need to install bearing on one side first then install part #52141-HB9-770 then install other bearing. This part is supposed to go between the bearings. If you have ever done wheel bearings on a motorcycle wheel, its the same setup. Hope this helps.
yeah thats the rod but the one that was in there and the new one that came with the aftermarket kit are smooth where the 52141-hb9-770 stock one looks like it has steps in it. The rod goes through the entire bearing right up into the bearing caps so its actually wider than the swingarm itself basically indicating that it doesnt matter which way it goes together if the bearing slides freely on it before install. Im thinking that the bit of damage that I didnt clean up and including trying to install with a socket and hammer was my issue here. Im going to clean up the area with a little sander dremmel and pull the bearing in like you suggested earlier and I hopefully that works. Kinda sucks I missed a nice little harescramble race near my house because of this. But probably for the better as I only have a little over a gallon put through the new cyl.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
man i'm confused....there is a long tube.it goes in the swingarm.the two bearings go on the outside,then there are the outer sleeve's,then the dust covers.none of this should be pressed in.

here is a pic off ebay.am i missing something?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
the bearings slide on the spacer tube after you put it in the swinger.then the side "spacer beraing holder's" go on,the you put the side seal's on..sorry about the wording but i hope you understand what i'm saying.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
man i'm confused....there is a long tube.it goes in the swingarm.the two bearings go on the outside,then there are the outer sleeve's,then the dust covers.none of this should be pressed in.

here is a pic off ebay.am i missing something?
I blew the pic up and looked good ...there is still part of the old bearing housing in there, heat it up and get it out and you will be fine
I agree it looks like the end of a bearing housing in each end but theres no bearing housings left in there unless one of the old bearings were over 3 inches long. I tried to get better pictures but its hard to get a good pic of all the way through the swingarm. The service manual shows like a blind hole bearing puller to pull the old ones out but no longer is available.
This pic shows the old bearings I pulled out
0915130828.jpg This next pic shows the length of the spacer rod supplied with the new bearings(same as old one)
0915130828a.jpg
Heres some more pics of the inside of the swingarm. If you look close it looks like there is a small gap inside between these spacer thing that looks like its 2 pieces. like I posted earlier one is about 3 inches long and the other is shorter. Its just strange that when the bearings butt up against this stopper spacer thing Im calling it the bearings end up right where they are suppose to be.
0915130829c.jpg 0915130829.jpg 0915130829a.jpg

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This picture right here shows what Im talking about best. You can see the stop that the new bearing would stop up against then deep inside on the bottom you see like a black space. Almost looks like its on the other side but Its about 3 inches from where the bearing stops on this side to where that tiny gap is. Like I said if it was an old bearing race then the bearing would have been 3 inches long because thats how long that piece is in there. 0915130829c.jpg

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the bearings slide on the spacer tube after you put it in the swinger.then the side "spacer beraing holder's" go on,the you put the side seal's on..sorry about the wording but i hope you understand what i'm saying.
Yeah I know what your saying. Maybe it would be better to put the rod in first then slide the bearings over the rod and into the swingarm but they go into the swingarm so hard that im not sure how you would get them in without putting something on them to press them in or tap them in. And if the rod is in there it sticks out about 3/4 of an inch on each end of the bearing when the bearings are where they are suppose to be. They went in hard!! and the old ones were in there very tight also.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
it look's like it's too long in the pic.does it go in the swingarm?if it doesn't,maybe someone put an 86-87 kit in it.they were shorter bacause of the motor mount.
I agree it looks like the end of a bearing housing in each end but theres no bearing housings left in there unless one of the old bearings were over 3 inches long. I tried to get better pictures but its hard to get a good pic of all the way through the swingarm. The service manual shows like a blind hole bearing puller to pull the old ones out but no longer is available.
This pic shows the old bearings I pulled out
View attachment 21318 This next pic shows the length of the spacer rod supplied with the new bearings(same as old one)
View attachment 21319
Heres some more pics of the inside of the swingarm. If you look close it looks like there is a small gap inside between these spacer thing that looks like its 2 pieces. like I posted earlier one is about 3 inches long and the other is shorter. Its just strange that when the bearings butt up against this stopper spacer thing Im calling it the bearings end up right where they are suppose to be.
View attachment 21320 View attachment 21321 View attachment 21322

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
it look's like it's too long in the pic.does it go in the swingarm?if it doesn't,maybe someone put an 86-87 kit in it.they were shorter bacause of the motor mount.
yeah it goes in. its just as long as the one that came out. 0915130936.jpg by the time the bearing caps are installed onto the rod its just right. The 86-87 swingarm has a space in between each bearing. its wide open not all the way through if you know what I mean.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts