Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would cause this on the piston? Is this still usable? 86 tRX. I had it out a couple weeks back it was fine then after the ride It wouldn’t start and felt kind of weird when kicking it over. So I cleaned out the carb changes the plug and it started up I ran it down the street and if felt off no power, bogging out then just started revving wot and would shut off. I pulled the head and this is what the piston looks like. Any help of what should be done or what the cause and fox would be. Thank you.
Light Automotive tire Font Auto part Circle
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light Bicycle part Automotive lighting
Plumbing fixture Automotive tire Kitchen sink Rim Bathroom sink
Wheel Tire Crankset Automotive tire Vehicle brake
Automotive tire Wheel Rim Gas Auto part
Wheel Automotive tire Crankset Bicycle part Rim
Wheel Tire Crankset Automotive tire Vehicle brake
Automotive tire Wheel Rim Gas Auto part
Wheel Automotive tire Crankset Bicycle part Rim

· Registered
11 Posts
Looks to me like it’s too lean…. That will cause the underside of the piston to overheat and cause the buildup on top. It’s hard to tell without a picture of the plug that was being run in it when you first pulled the head off. If it is super hot in there, that could’ve cause it to run like crap due decreased compression. If the bog feels like a hesitation and then cleans itself out and the runs then it is rich. If it bogs and feels like it’s stalling , it’s too lean. The part about it revving super high then stalling leads me to think it’s lean as well as the burnt carbon on top of the piston.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the for the reply Sterling. I’ll grab some pics of the plug I had in there. I was running a 40/1 mix with 927 and 91 pump gas. I guess I’m going to pull the top end off and check the cylinder and replace the piston.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My guess is you had an air leak & you caught it just in time. You can see a chunk missing from the inner o-ring in some of the pics. Do you have a leakdown tester?
Yeah that’s the first thing I noticed, a chunk was missing from that o-ring! I don’t have a leakdown tester. I’ll need to get one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts