Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a set of sand stars on but I always hear how much better skat traks are. So my question is, is there really that big of a difference between the two? Like say a 7 or 8 paddle hauler. Would it be worth switching over to them?

·
Registered
140 Posts
find someone you can borrow a set from and give them a try-My old yfz i was running ITP's on it switched to 10 paddle haulers and there was a night and day difference--for the positive

·
Registered
67 Posts
i switched from 9 paddle 20x10x10 to 7paddle superlights at 22x11x8 and gained about 3-4 bike lengths and way more floatation and no more getting stuck in deep ruts on hill climbs. J

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Mulletman, I've got a set of skat traks 20x10x10 8 paddles I'll sell ya at a good price if you're thinking about wanting to give them a try. If you have any interest send me a pm and we can talk about it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what setup do you guys thing I should run? Like how many paddles and what kind of skat trak? My mods are listed in the sig and I mainly just play around at the dunes might race a little and do some hill climbing but nothing serious.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Skat trak is the way to go, way lighter than sand stars especially the triple buffed. When it comes to the straight paddle haulers or xtremes, you will smoke anyone on sandstars with a comparable bike so hold on tight but keep in mind that you need power to push more than a 7-8 paddle and you will also spend much more moola.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The skat-traks certainly hook better and are faster, but I like the way my bike rides better with sand stars. I shaved off the extra lugs on the inside to help lighten them up a bit.

I think it comes down to what kind of riding you like to do, if it's hill shooting and drag racing then get the skat-traks, if you like trail riding and side hilling you might rather have the v-paddles.

·
Registered
929 Posts
21×12×8 8 pdl. Guy selling knockoff haulers on Facebook for 70 a pair new. Its what you need
^^^^^ I have a pair (haulers) on douglas wheels, mint / used 40-50 times down a 300 ft dirt drag strip. Im looking to upgrade. PM me if you are interested or if you want pics go to my pics in my profile. Or I can send you some.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ive switched from paddles to Ohtsu 501's over 20 years ago and never looked back. Best move I ever made in my sand riding adventures. I still get a chuckle outta folks stressing on sand tires. :D keep buying them paddles, the industry needs your $$$$$.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Mullet, put the bickering aside, nice tires I have, just purchased a better set for my track conditions.

·
Registered
929 Posts
DSC02109.JPG

that be them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nice looking TRX there TrailBurner. Those look like Skat Trac Haulers. Taller Haulers in fact. Ya I used to dune with Skat Trac's Too. I see your set up for drags. That quad looks nice and fast. I see a member "Used To Be Fast" has a hard time with the knobby idea. Out west most folks try to find a balance between a duner and still being able to pull the hill fast. I did the drag thing for a few years then switched to just dunning. I still race the hill and folks get frustrated when the knobbys smoke their butts up the hills and throughout the dunes. Some people find it hard to believe the knobbys fly through the dunes. thats only because they never tried it or they ran the wrong ones.

If you think Im kidding, Ive got a crisp $100 bill that says my knobbys will out dune ANY paddle tire. ANY paddle tire ever manufactured. But for the challenge, you have to go to the biggest dune area in the US of A. Imperial sand dunes in California. If you can hang with me for 10 minutes duning the cash is yours. If you dont...your out $100. I'll even give you a chance, I wont even use my quad. I'll ride a 3 wheeler. Ive put this challenge out there before and I stand by my beliefs.

Reactions: Mr. Clean and KASEY

·
Registered
898 Posts
it will never happen Tom,, i wish my gopro was on when we were doing the hill at the invasion,, or we could have had someone videoing from the top... you made a believer out of me that day for sure... and guys i was not riding a old rag either!!!

·
Registered
929 Posts
you know go with what works for you, knobbys Ive never tried other than on ice. Im not a dune rider. At MY track, all paddles run faster than non paddles, its just a fact for me, I proved it out.
Its like comparing blonde to brunettes.....

·
Banned
413 Posts
Tires always come down to riding style. In the sand V's, Straight, or knobbies all have benefits and downfalls. Not all tires are equal either. One brand of (V, straight, or knobby) is not the same as another brand. What works for one person may not work for another. Trial and error is the only way to find out what works best for you and your machine.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Ive switched from paddles to Ohtsu 501's over 20 years ago and never looked back. Best move I ever made in my sand riding adventures. I still get a chuckle outta folks stressing on sand tires. :D keep buying them paddles, the industry needs your $$$$$.
Have you tried lots of different knobbies in the sand or just the 501s? I've been wanting to try something less aggressive, but I think I'd still prefer some kind of paddle. Goldspeed has a new sand knobbie, but the dang thing is like $150 each tire. I'd like to try a 6 paddle edge, but the edge's throw a lot more sand than a sand skate. We trail dune close together so I try to run something that is not too bad to follow. I hate following haulers and sand stars. The edge are a close 3rd. Nobody ever complains about following my sand skates. We used to run the 501's on 3 wheelers. They worked great. I think a quad needs a little more traction though. My unlce was on a weight kick for awhile so he grooved down some turf tamers for the sand. He said they didn't seem any better than the dunlops that the 450s come with.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Have you tried lots of different knobbies in the sand or just the 501s? I've been wanting to try something less aggressive, but I think I'd still prefer some kind of paddle. Goldspeed has a new sand knobbie, but the dang thing is like $150 each tire. I'd like to try a 6 paddle edge, but the edge's throw a lot more sand than a sand skate. We trail dune close together so I try to run something that is not too bad to follow. I hate following haulers and sand stars. The edge are a close 3rd. Nobody ever complains about following my sand skates. We used to run the 501's on 3 wheelers. They worked great. I think a quad needs a little more traction though. My unlce was on a weight kick for awhile so he grooved down some turf tamers for the sand. He said they didn't seem any better than the dunlops that the 450s come with.
Yes as a matter of fact I have tried a few versions. The Dunlops from the yfz are my 2nd choice as for dune knobbys. The have to be a sand dedicated knobby though. You dont want to bring partially worn trail knobs to the dunes. You need a tall knob and sharp edges. My yfz shredds with fresh Dunlops. The performance will drop off quickly if they are worn from hard pack tail use. Dont even try an 18" knob. They have to be 20".

Yes it sucks riding behind paddles and dodging roost. Heres another reason for the knobbys. I ride with a group of guys that all run knobs. We can ride as a tight pack and see exactly what the rider in front is doing. It also grabs a lot of attension from spectators seeing a group riding so close together and not all spaced out dodging roost.

Another advantage to knobs is less ware and tear on the bike. Its easier on the drive train and clutch. Cornering is a no brainer. The knob corners better than any paddle ever thought of. Also one of my favorite things to do while dropping into bowls is to "tail whip" the trike or quad. Its pretty tough to do with the paddles but not impossible. It just boosts up the fun factor and thats why I dune, fun fun.

I think Kasey can say with accurate opinion to what the knob can do. We hit the hill a few times. Rolling starts , dead starts, we still finished side by side and flying off the top with some big air to boot.

Im sure paddles are the hot ticket on the drag strip. Im just talking duning. Ive done a bit of that. Ive tried many paddle styles. I gave them up many years ago. Like i said, I wont go back to them. As for a downfall Black Sheep,I havnt found one yet in the sand, next time we go duning again, I dont want to look back and see you tumbling down the dune with those paddles. 3 wheeler or quad, knobbys rule.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts