Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me why the manual calls for honda 4 stroke 10-40 oil? Shouldn't it be 2 stroke oil what are you guys running ? My bike 1986 trx250r stock engine fmf pipe and silencer

·
Registered
433 Posts
Can anyone tell me why the manual calls for honda 4 stroke 10-40 oil? Shouldn't it be 2 stroke oil what are you guys running ? My bike 1986 trx250r stock engine fmf pipe and silencer
The transmission oil is different than the oil you mix with the fuel. What gets mixed with the fuel has to be specific 2-stroke "pre-mix" oil but what goes in the transmission can be anything from the 80W/85W F-red posted a pic of to the atf type F that american opal mentioned. I run atf type F in one of my R's & the HP 80W/85W in the other. A friend of mine run's Shell rotella T 15W40 in the tranny's of all 3 of his R's. Trans fluid is mostly riders preference.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The transmission oil is different than the oil you mix with the fuel. What gets mixed with the fuel has to be specific 2-stroke "pre-mix" oil but what goes in the transmission can be anything from the 80W/85W F-red posted a pic of to the atf type F that american opal mentioned. I run atf type F in one of my R's & the HP 80W/85W in the other. A friend of mine run's Shell rotella T 15W40 in the tranny's of all 3 of his R's. Trans fluid is mostly riders preference.
Ok cool yea I know the trans oil is different than my pre mix I run castor 927 in my kx so will probably run the same in the r

·
Registered
354 Posts
I run Bel-Ray or Maxima 80W in everything except in Yamahas I run synthetic since they need all the help they can get shifting properly. Keep in mind that it is fine if you use car engine oil in your transmission but you have to change it more often since it's made for things that slide rather than crash together like gears. Also cars don't have wet clutches to contaminate the oil with clutch fibers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I run the Honda transmission oil but 10W-40 engine oil is about the same viscosity as 80-85 transmission oil. So id assume that’s why it says 10W-40

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes the manual calls for 10w40 however that was the recommendation in 85atc250r and 86--89 trx250r. However oil' has made huge advancements over the past 30+ years. But I change my oil before every ride, and that's transmission oil. I use Rotella t3 or t4 I believe. But that's your transmission in the lower case bro. For your mix gas/oil you run a 2 stroke oil. I run castors927, 160z to 5 gallons even. That's 40:1 ratio.. to answer your ???, NO you do not run 10w40 motor oil in your gas mix.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes the manual calls for 10w40 however that was the recommendation in 85atc250r and 86--89 trx250r. However oil' has made huge advancements over the past 30+ years. But I change my oil before every ride, and that's transmission oil. I use Rotella t3 or t4 I believe. But that's your transmission in the lower case bro. For your mix gas/oil you run a 2 stroke oil. I run castors927, 160z to 5 gallons even. That's 40:1 ratio.. to answer your ???, NO you do not run 10w40 motor oil in your gas mix.
That wasnt my question i run castor 927 as well and I know the difference between premix and transmission oil I was confused why it called for 4 stroke transmission oil that was my question.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That wasnt my question i run castor 927 as well and I know the difference between premix and transmission oil I was confused why it called for 4 stroke transmission oil that was my question.
Understandable, there's no oil available that says 4 stroke on it, that's not wet clutch rated. So if you just grabbed 10w40 off the shelf and it doesn't say 4 stroke. Chances are it's not wet clutch approved. That's why the book says 4 stroke, so your not gonna make the mistake of getting an oil that's not wet clutch. Hope that helps

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Understandable, there's no oil available that says 4 stroke on it, that's not wet clutch rated. So if you just grabbed 10w40 off the shelf and it doesn't say 4 stroke. Chances are it's not wet clutch approved. That's why the book says 4 stroke, so your not gonna make the mistake of getting an oil that's not wet clutch. Hope that helps
Thank you I went with 80-85 bel ray

1 - 16 of 16 Posts