Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I am experiencing an issue where I have no spark im honestly stumped at this point I've changed the stator, redone some of the wirings but the PO did the wiring pretty bad along with the CDI being in rough shape. I have noticed though when I kick it, it will spark once then stop until I wait another 5 - 10 minutes. This is why I have suspicion to believe it may be the CDI just because it's mainly following a pattern. More than likely, I will replace the wiring harness and the CDI, but I just want an opinion on what you guys think. I'm pretty new with wiring so any help would be much appreciated. -Thanks

·
Registered
315 Posts
Have you shook the flywheel it to see if it rattles? 250r flywheels are kinda weird, they aren't your standard kind where you can see all the magnets.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you shook the flywheel it to see if it rattles? 250r flywheels are kinda weird, they aren't your standard kind where you can see all the magnets.
When I took it apart the flywheel did not rattle at all was my first concern was the stator and flywheel but the flywheel seemed to still have its magnativity along with no rattling sounds.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Since capacitors store energy you might be using up the diminished energy reserves of the capacitors in the allegedly bad CDI with only one spark event. When capacitors go bad due to leaking they still may work (store energy) but in a heavily reduced capacity. They may indeed have only enough capacity for one spark per 5-10 minutes. One thing that may help (but certainly not always) is for capacitors to be warmed up but this is typically through use of the electrical device. You may be able to sit a hair dryer in front of the CDI box for 5-10 minutes and see if it sparks more times then. If so you have found your culprit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since capacitors store energy you might be using up the diminished energy reserves of the capacitors in the allegedly bad CDI with only one spark event. When capacitors go bad due to leaking they still may work (store energy) but in a heavily reduced capacity. They may indeed have only enough capacity for one spark per 5-10 minutes. One thing that may help (but certainly not always) is for capacitors to be warmed up but this is typically through use of the electrical device. You may be able to sit a hair dryer in front of the CDI box for 5-10 minutes and see if it sparks more times then. If so you have found your culprit.
Alright, thanks for the advice will definitely give it a try and see what I find!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts