Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's been posted a million times but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I would like to know exactly how to check the stator, flywheel and pickup because I believe that is the problem. Sorry in advance for such a long post but I'll give you all the details on what I did in case I'm missing something. Any help is greatly appreciated.

So my 250R has been sitting for about 4 months. It ran great when I parked it for the winter. I polished it all up and took it to a show last month. I tried to start it there but the fuel tank was pretty much empty so I thought it was just out of fuel when it didn't start. My coil was way too short because it had been cut back a few times to make a better connection so I ordered a new one over the winter. Today I pulled it out and filled it full of fuel, installed a brand new OEM coil, a brand new NGK boot and a brand new NGK plug. I kicked it and on the third kick it sounded like it fired just once. I kept kicking with no success at all. I pulled the plug and it was pretty wet. I tried another new plug to check for spark and couldn't see any but at the end it shocked me pretty good once. So there is something but its extremely intermittent. I tried the old coil also.
I removed the frame ground from the wiring harness and sanded both surfaces and still no spark.
From there I began checking resistances with the service manual. Everything I checked seems good.
I removed the plugs from the CDI
Numbers in parentheses are what the manual suggests.
Green to Black/Yellow at 0.4 Ohm (0.1-0.3)
Black/Red to Green at 177 Ohm (50-250)
Green/White to Blue/Yellow at 122 Ohm (50-200)
Black/White to Green no continuity (killswitch)
I Checked both Coils
Black to Green at 0.4 Ohm (0.1-0.3)
Black or Green to plug boot at ~9 kOhm (7-11)
*I believe the two that read 0.4 are actually 0.2 because my meter reads 0.2 resistance to itself*

As far as I know there is no way to check the CDI itself and its hard to find a known working one to try replacing it with. Don't have any friends with a running 250R. Half the people that ride by me don't even know what it is.

I pulled the stator cover and found a little rust on the flywheel so I sanded it off and cleaned the pickup as well. I tried to kick it and got one little spark out of it again but still won't start.
The resistance for the pulse generator and exciter coil checked out fine but is there anything else I can test to see if the pickup or flywheel or stator is good?
I think I've narrowed it down to either the CDI or something in the stator/flywheel but I'd like to be sure before I start buying parts I don't need.

Also OEM ignitions and stators are no longer available so does anyone have any recommendations on good replacements? I like my headlights, otherwise I'd convert to 2001 CR250 ignition.

Thank you in advance for any help,
Keith

·
Registered
163 Posts
Keith
I would still try and stay with the easy stuff first, even though you have looked at the electrical. Since the motor run good when you parked it it should be simple. Have you cleaned carb? If not try this. Pull plug and spray with starting fluid and put back in quickly and kick it over hard. If it tries to start you have a fuel problem. That little bit of starting fluid will not hurt anything just don't put any in cylinder that will let it run. If it doesn't fire pull spark plug and put a nail or metal object in the plug cap and hold it while slowly cranking to see if you have fire. Increase speed of cranking till you feel something. You may have to crank hard as the stock ignition takes 800-900 rpm for a good spark. Don't be scared of the shock just start out slow. If it dose give you a good jolt good news your electrical is good. Let us know how this goes and we can go from there.
Allen

·
Premium Member
13,278 Posts
As suggested; dismantle the carburetor, clean all jets and passages with crab cleaner & compressed air…assemble correctly. Most of the time, this will cure your ills…also make sure the muffler & pipe are clear of any obstructions that may have crawled inside.

If not, recheck all electrical components, all connectors, and make sure the CDI is good by checking to a known working unit. If you need a new Stator; the only good new option is Ricky Stator.

Carlos

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I pulled it out this morning and I think I found the problem. I cleaned the carb and put it back in and it ran for a couple seconds. Then I started playing with wires. The red/black wire going to the plug on the CDI feels a bit loose. I had my girlfriend kick it while I was wiggling it and it started right up. If I push the wire in it stays running but as soon as I let go it dies so I think I just need a new harness.
The picture is kinda hard to see but it's the 2 prong plug off the CDI. I zoomed it in and the red/ black wire on the bottom you can see the metal contact inside is a bit farther back than the black/white next to it.
Can anyone recommend a good wire harness brand? I have my lights wired separate so a race harness would be fine. I checked out Ricky Stator and noticed they sell 86-88 and 89 but I don't see any difference in the picture. Does anyone know why there's 2? I thought they were all the same.
Thanks again,
Keith

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found the difference.
86-88(first picture) has 1 plastic connector for pulse generator and a single pin for constant power.
89(second picture) has 1 plastic connector for pulse generator and 1 plastic connector for constant power

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts