Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i finally had the chance to buy a 250r three wheeler! been wanting one for the longest time. i am pretty sure it is an 86. the guy i got it from wasn't sure and there's no sticker on the frame to verify it.

i've never had a 2 stroke before so i'm new to the whole tuning thing. i was told that it has recently been rebuilt. it starts fine, usually within a kick or two. once it gets warmed up and i shut it off and then go to start it again it doesn't like to start. i mean it will as long as i give it a little gas while kicking it. wondering if you guys could help me out on fixing this. it did foul a plug last weekend so i think it might be running a little rich. the plug was black when i pulled it out. i am mixing the gas 20:1 with castor 927. i used 91 octane pump gas but i recently heard not to use it. before i replaced the plug i tore apart the carb just to check it out. it's got a 160 main jet and a 62 pilot jet. thinking out trying some re-jetting to see if i can lean it out. pretty sure it also has aftermarket reeds. no airbox with what looks to be a ESR filter?

any input on what to try to resolve the warm staring problem would be great! thanks to anyone who helps!!

IMG_4331.jpg IMG_7868.jpg IMG_7339.jpg IMG_0085.jpg IMG_0298.jpg

·
Registered
640 Posts
Pilot jet sounds a bit big and also your a bit rich on your fuel mix. I think the average mix people use is 32:1 Looks like you have a nice machine there and you can find a lot of info here on the forum..

Welcome to site Buddha!!!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
160 main jet sounds about right. That what I run in my ATC with no air box with a k&n air filter which I'm guessing is the same set up you have just an ESR protector over the filter. You lucked out with an 86. Their pretty much interchangeable with the other 250's where as mine is an 85. So the swing arm and cdi, and a few other things are different. Is that an FMF pipe? I can't really tell by the pictures. You might not have stock reeds. Boyesson reeds on a stock cage with a little modifying is what a lot of people have done. I mix my 250 at 32:1. And why not run 91? In New York it's non-ethanol so it's better than 93 with 10% ethanol. Nice buy by the way. I like seein new faces buy 250r's lol. Still one of the best designed machines. By far lol. And welcome to the site

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea FMF pipe and silencer. Someone took the decal off the silencer. A buddy told me the 91 we get here in KS likes to separate from the oil or somethin.. idk. I haven't had a problem with it yet but I've only mixed up 5 gallons. I might have to change up my mix ratio..what would some advantages of using a different ratio? I am thinking about changing the pilot jet and seeing what happens..any recommendations on a pilot jet size?? Thanks for the input guys and the welcome!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, I’m still trying to find a spark arrestor off of a Stock 250 R ,, any body know where I can buy one,,please lmk ASAP,, very much appreciated

·
Registered
13,182 Posts
Gino:

You've been given a few options already; posting the same request does not get you what you need.

Note once again the inner core alone is not an available item as Honda sold the Muffler. Look to purchase the complete Muffler from one of the various options already posted.

Carlos

1 - 8 of 8 Posts