Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an 198(?) TRX250r and have some questions...

First off, I haven't owned a quad in over 15 yrs and this is my first two stoke toy. So I have a lot of questions. The bike has LRD exhaust, LRD Pro X cylinder (the guy said 275cc, race gas only, unable to find much info anymore on LRD stuff) and it runs great. After reading posts on this site I am concerned about not having an air box. I plan on putting either a stock box with a filter lid or ordering one of the aluminum ones off the internet. I am currently out of town so some of the my questions I can't answer myself. I am not sure what year the frame is. Are the air boxes interchangeable? 86-89. Also, with this throw my carb out of whack? Can you get diff size jets at most Honda dealers still?

Does anyone know a good two stroke mechanic in the Fayetteville, Raleigh, Laurinburg NC area?

Third, new guy question.. The rear brake locks the axel when touched there is no moderate breaking. Normal?

Fourth, this one is actually embarrassing. How can you tell if the quad is running lean or rich. Thanks..
IMG_20140222_131122.jpg IMG_20140222_131126.jpg

·
Registered
387 Posts
Welcome to the site.
I think airboxes are the same. It'll make your carb run rich if that's all you change on it assuming you have an open element filter on it now. My local 'dealerships' don't have much of anything in the way of jets. I have the best luck and the mom & pop cycle shops.
Can't help ya much with #2 but I think there's some knowledgeable guys in your area.
#3 sounds like your pads are gone and they're hanging up on the backing plates themselves. 90% of all the 2nd hand quads I've bought have junk for brake pads on them. That's usually the first thing I have to do.
#4. Plug chop. Google it, learn it, live and die by it. You'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Welcome! For starters, sell me that clutch cover for $100! lol

LED is still in business and very easy to get in touch with! So you can get all the info you need on your cylinder there! There should be some markings either under the intake or exhaust.

An airbox is not really needed unless your riding where there is water or heavy sticky dirt. And yes an airbox will mess with your jetting a little, and they are all interchangeable.

Jets are readily available and most dealers. Just ask for Kehin carb jets and you can pick your sizes(or they may need to order some sizes).

To see if the R is lean or rich, simply put a new plug in it, run it WOT(wide open throttle), pry 4th gear, pull the clutch in, kill the R, come to stop, pull the plug, white is lean, black is rich

Hope this helps! LEt me have first dibs at that clutch cover if you get rid of it! :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Welcome to the forum! There is no embarrassing questions, you'll find that most of them can be answered here. There are many helpful and knowledgable people here who know the R's inside and out.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I say post up a ride report and the jet and needle size. Once u do a plug chop take a picture and post it u will get good feed back. R looks good.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Your quad has a lot of nice parts. Welcome to the site.
I don't think your a-arms are mounted up properly. You might want to post some close up pictures so we can get a better look.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses. I'll post some other pictures of the front of the quad when I get back in town and also do a chop test.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Welcome,supernice bike to get back into quads even better it is an "R".Hard to tell by photo but looks like it is '88-'89 by looking at grabbar mounts.Between an '88-'89 the only easy way to tell the diff is there will be a bolt hole on each side of the lower subframe rail where the '89 had the heel guards mounted.Take more close up pics.Good luck.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Welcome to the site. Frame is either an 88 or 89. almost are parts are interchangable. Ur rear caliper may need rebuilt if it's sticking thats definitely not normal. I would call esr or some one like that and see if you could get 5 or 6 jets a couple bigger and a couple smaller then what's in it. I think most dealers are exspensive on jets. Front tires do look ahead a bit for some reason.

·
Registered
373 Posts
U need to give the front end some attention.for some reason the caster is set real drastic. If you look at the upper a arms there is a spacer which is got the uppers all the way forward. Does it steer real hard?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Welcome. Don't know anyone here in north carolina that works on them but between being mechanically inclined and the ppl on this site you can do it all ur self. Before u go buying jets get what ever airbox u want. Most of the area ur in I believe is sand so u want need a lid if u don't want one. Then do a plug chop. If u still need jets u can get all u need from jetsrus.com.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Neil C leigh Nashville NC, sorry if that far away.... Im canadian lol

·
Registered
138 Posts
guys, the front end doesnt look too horrible...remember it is strapped down with suspension loaded....It will probably need minor adjustments, but lets not scare the guy!

·
Registered
34 Posts
First of all, I would like to congratulate for your new toy. I do not have much answer for all your question except the third one, If it locks, then it is not normal and you may need to contact a mechanic that you are already in search of. Best of luck for the same.

·
Registered
263 Posts
very nice find and welcome to the site! I run the kit from ESR that gets ride of your airbox. I don't ride around water or anything like that so it's nice for me. good luck!

·
Super Moderator
2,308 Posts
Welcome, and you do have a nicely equipped R, some really nice parts as stated above! C Leigh Racing (Neil) is located somewhere in the Carolinas, I would definitely go to him for any issues or tuning you may have or need.

First thing I would do if I were you, is slap some new rubber on those rear wheels (those tires are bald and your probably spinning the hell out of those tires)! Something doesn't look right about the way those a-arms are installed. Perhaps someone who knows suspension better pin point if the a-arms are installed correctly.

Going back to C Leigh Racing, I would setup an appointment to drop your 250R off to Neil, this way you take any guess work out of the tuning and what gas to run. I have seen too many people wrong the wrong type of fuel, improper jetting, timing because they thought their motor and carb were setup one way and it was actually setup completely different and they end up hurting the motor and leaving a lot of perfromance on the table. If I were you and I personally didn't build the motor first hand I would want to take ALL guess work out of "how to setup your new 250R for mamxium relaibale performance"!!

Good Luck keep us all posted! :)

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
First welcome and no question is a stupid question here keep those questions coming!!!
Based on pics like said before you frame is either 88-89 based on front bumper mount and frame plate under hood where VIN should be stamped.
I just want you to know brakes sticking many people overlook at the pins that let the rear brake caliper slide left to right. There is a 12mm bolt holding caliper take 12mm off and slide caliper off to your left side. Next where that bolt came off of there should be 2 rubber grommets and inside a pin. Slide pin out yours may be hard because it has seen many years of mud, dirt , and water and those rubber grommets do not block everything out. If pin is hard to com out that is 1 of the many and most reason your brakes do not disengage!But get pin out and buy a new pin with new grommets throw that old rusted pin and grommets away it may cost you $20 at honda dealer. But on reassembly do not use grease use silicone spay as stated in manual reassemble and you will notice how caliper now slides left to right easily!!!
I have had the same issue with all my 250R's and chained them all and no more issues with rear brakes good luck, Mike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts