Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI . I JUST TRADED A KX100 FOR AN '88 TRX250R. THE GUY WHO OWNED IT COULDN'T TELL ME MUCH ABOUT THE QUAD EXCEPT THAT HE THINKS IT HAS A BLOWN BASE GASKET AND THAT IT HAS A 310 KIT. I HAVEN'T TOUCHED THE QUAD YET UNTIL MY SERVICE MANUAL AND GASKET KIT GET HERE. THE CYLINDER SEEMS TO HAVE AN EXTENSION OF ABOUT AN INCH BETWEEN THE CRANKCASE AND CYLINDER (STROKED?). SOMEONE LOVED THIS QUAD IE. WIDER REAR AXLE, WIDER CHROME FRONT ARMS, COOL HEAD, NICE PIPE AND A FULL EXTRA SET OF PLASTICS AND AN EXTRA SEAT. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE EXTRA CYLINDER EXTENSION IS? WHO MADE IT AND WHERE CAN I GET A GASKET FOR IT DOES IT USE THE STOCK ONE OR DO I JUST MAKE ONE. I WANT TO DO THIS UP RIGHT.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If it has a spacer plate you need 2 OEM base gaskets. IMO you got the better end of the deal for sure. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANKS IDAHO_R_QUADS. I DIDN'T FIT ON THE 100 ANYWAY AND I'VE ALWAYS LOVED THESE QUADS. A FOOL AND HIS HONEY...RIGHT

·
Registered
12,966 Posts
HI . I JUST TRADED A KX100 FOR AN '88 TRX250R. THE GUY WHO OWNED IT COULDN'T TELL ME MUCH ABOUT THE QUAD EXCEPT THAT HE THINKS IT HAS A BLOWN BASE GASKET AND THAT IT HAS A 310 KIT. I HAVEN'T TOUCHED THE QUAD YET UNTIL MY SERVICE MANUAL AND GASKET KIT GET HERE. THE CYLINDER SEEMS TO HAVE AN EXTENSION OF ABOUT AN INCH BETWEEN THE CRANKCASE AND CYLINDER (STROKED?). SOMEONE LOVED THIS QUAD IE. WIDER REAR AXLE, WIDER CHROME FRONT ARMS, COOL HEAD, NICE PIPE AND A FULL EXTRA SET OF PLASTICS AND AN EXTRA SEAT. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE EXTRA CYLINDER EXTENSION IS? WHO MADE IT AND WHERE CAN I GET A GASKET FOR IT DOES IT USE THE STOCK ONE OR DO I JUST MAKE ONE. I WANT TO DO THIS UP RIGHT.
1" spacer plate...? Not normal at all.

Typically 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" are the normal spacer plates for 98% of all standard & stroker builds. At 1" I can't imagine what or why? Post some pictures of the engine, spacer plate, cylinder, ect...will help to determine what build you have.

Carlos

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SORRY GUYS, LIGHTING TRICK WITH OLD EYES. NO SPACER, REAL THICK BASE GASKET. I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT I THINK I SAW. WILL STOCK EXHAUST SPRINGS WORK ON A CURTIS SPARKS MX EXHAUST?

·
Registered
12,966 Posts
SORRY GUYS, LIGHTING TRICK WITH OLD EYES. NO SPACER, REAL THICK BASE GASKET. I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT I THINK I SAW. WILL STOCK EXHAUST SPRINGS WORK ON A CURTIS SPARKS MX EXHAUST?
OK...now makes a lot more sense.

Likely just a standard short rod crankshaft + one .5MM base OEM gasket if it contains no spacer plate. If it has a spacer plate, it would be 3/16" with two .5MM OEM base gaskets.

Carlos

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
probably so...the guy I traded with knew very little about the quad. he's one of these guys who thinks a 30 over piston makes the quad a 280cc. I haven't gotten into the quad yet because I am waiting on parts and a manual(yes I did download the free service manual from the forum, thanks to whoever uploaded it) I've also ordered itp hole shots, an air filter,valve stems, top end gasket kit, spark plugs and some plastics. when I tear into it I will find if I need a new piston kit and what size, if I need to resleeve the cylinder and if I need to do a bottom end and if so may do a whole hot rods crankshaft kit or maybe a stroker kit and find out if I need new reeds. at this point I don't know if I'll be riding next weekend or this is going to be a major winter build or both. ps thanks for the input this forum rocks!! I had an atc250r many years ago(the air-cooled version) but sold it because I thought it would hurt me, awesome and awful at the same time, my buddy had a trx250r and we rode together, it was a very cool quad and I want this one to have every chance I can give it to be a great ride.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rather than ride around on a 32 year old quad waiting for it to break, I am leaning towards a ct racing engine rebuild. being 6'3 and 260 lbs I'm considering a 370 stroker kit, anybody have any experience with these? are there better options? I'm looking at this as a free quad so no worries about spending a few grand to get an awesome toy, still half the price of new raptor, right?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm 6'-2" and 280. I ride a 391 built by Hybrid Engineering. All I can say is wow! The torque is fantastic!

Reactions: SandSlinger

·
Registered
12,966 Posts
rather than ride around on a 32 year old quad waiting for it to break, I am leaning towards a ct racing engine rebuild. being 6'3 and 260 lbs I'm considering a 370 stroker kit, anybody have any experience with these? are there better options? I'm looking at this as a free quad so no worries about spending a few grand to get an awesome toy, still half the price of new raptor, right?

BDT363R (363/370) in action. #812 Cody Smith 2 Stroke Nationals Winner 2017 & 2018 on board a BDT 363R. David Ham #20 SoCal & AZ Desert Champion for the past 3 years aboard a BDT265 & BDT363R....can't go wrong with a 363/370R if built correctly....extremely powerful & reliable.

Note both Racers are => 6' & =>260 Lbs....and they can Ride!

Carlos

·
Registered
337 Posts
Carlos do you have any pics of your personal R? Is it set up for track or dunes? I've seen your YouTube vids of some sweet duner Rs, but throw a pic of yours.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I remember years ago carlos saying bdt has no shop bike so I highly doubt he even personally own's let alone rides an R.

·
Registered
347 Posts
oh u dont know. seen carlos ride dunes. group ride years ago. trike & quad.

i have the best. bdt built engines.
bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt431 puma
bdt561 saber
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
o.k. finished up working on my lt750 and finally got to look at this thing. it does have a spacer between case and cylinder 3/16 inch. does that mean it's stroked?
trx spacer.JPG
trx spacer 2.JPG
spacer w: ruler.JPG
trx motor left.JPG

·
Registered
140 Posts
Looks like an 86 engine with a long rod crank & 86 style piston which is the reason for the particular spacer you have. The a-arms look like Burgard, the swingarm is aftermarket but I'm not familiar with that one.... Trading an XR100 for that R was a phenomenal trade for you, nice score!!!

·
Registered
12,966 Posts
o.k. finished up working on my lt750 and finally got to look at this thing. it does have a spacer between case and cylinder 3/16 inch. does that mean it's stroked?
Possibly as stated, a Long Rod + 85/86 Piston kit, however; you can't tell by looking at your pictures. A stroker crankshaft like a +4 MM or +5 MM would look identical, and use the same 3/16" spacer plate....

Only real way to know for sure is to check the crankshaft, or measure the stroke.

Carlos

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks like an 86 engine with a long rod crank & 86 style piston which is the reason for the particular spacer you have. The a-arms look like Burgard, the swingarm is aftermarket but I'm not familiar with that one.... Trading an XR100 for that R was a phenomenal trade for you, nice score!!!
I was told it was an 88. glad I haven't ordered any engine parts yet, except for a top end gasket kit. would the head gasket fit?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts