Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1986 TRX250R
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member and I just picked up my first 250r this week. Well actually I just picked up a bare 86 frame. Still has original paint and no welded repairs. The sub frame has a slight twist at the rear grab bar, but I think I can pull that out. I have a few questions that I am sure folks on here can answer.

1. What is involved with installing a 88-89 swing arm on a 86?
2. Can someone explain to me the mods I see made involving an upper tube engine mount and 2 lower tabs for engine mounting at the back next to the swing arm mount?

I am sure I will have more questions as I start this build. Thanks.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Don’t really need upper tube
Just 2 tabs for lower back mount

·
Registered
1986 TRX250R
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I starting to get to that conclusion from what I have been reading.

·
Registered
6 Posts
the 86 87 frames are little more built 88 and 89 are lighter check your frame for cracks my 88 frame had a hard life i had to get gusets made congrads on your 250r

·
Registered
390 Posts
the 86 87 frames are little more built 88 and 89 are lighter check your frame for cracks my 88 frame had a hard life i had to get gusets made congrads on your 250r
Other than looks the 87 actually share's more similarities with the 88-89 than with the 86. While parts between all 4 years are for the most part interchangeable the 86 is basically a stand alone year.

·
Registered
1986 TRX250R
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I am looking forward to getting started on the build.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m new also and have an 86 frame that an 04 450 rear had gone on. I have an 88 swingarm, shock and linkage coming. From the people I’ve talked with two tabs welded on the frame will allow you to utilize that lower motor mount. Which is sufficient given aftermarket frames are only utilizing one of the rear mounts. Obviously no pro, but sounds like a good setup given you’ll have the stronger frame and better swingarm.
I also ordered some ornamental RC3 tabs as one guy had recommended. He said the predrilled holes are perfect. I guess we’ll see once it all arrives

·
Registered
1986 TRX250R
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m new also and have an 86 frame that an 04 450 rear had gone on. I have an 88 swingarm, shock and linkage coming. From the people I’ve talked with two tabs welded on the frame will allow you to utilize that lower motor mount. Which is sufficient given aftermarket frames are only utilizing one of the rear mounts. Obviously no pro, but sounds like a good setup given you’ll have the stronger frame and better swingarm.
I also ordered some ornamental RC3 tabs as one guy had recommended. He said the predrilled holes are perfect. I guess we’ll see once it all arrives
This is a silly question, but do you need to have the engine to mount the rear tabs? Not sure how to properly locate them without an engine, but I don’t have an engine yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is a silly question, but do you need to have the engine to mount the rear tabs? Not sure how to properly locate them without an engine, but I don’t have an engine yet.
Yes, you’d need to mount the engine using the front mounts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts