Honda TRX250R Forums banner

New here, could use some advice on my 88 250R

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Shelbymopar89 
#1 ·
I have been out of the 250R game for about 27 years. Yesterday I stumbled upon a gift from god and bought this 1988 gem. The gentleman passed away in 2009 and it has sat since then. His wife spit out a price that I could not pass up. He has it set up as a hill climb bike but it also came with all the original plastics, 3 carbs, 4 different expansion chambers and two silencers. Also have all the original bumpers, swing arm, 10 gasket kits and a ton of other stuff in Honda packaging that I have not sorted yet. I cleaned everything up yesterday and bought a 5gal jug of Sonoco 110. Mixed some klotz in (32:1) I went fat to be safe. I have no idea the parts or running condition. What I do know is it has a kustom Kraft (310?) jug with a spacer on the bottom. One of the biggest expansion pipes I have ever seen (no tag that I could find) after market reeds and from what I can tell a bigger carburetor. I am guessing the smaller one (same brand) in the box was stock. With everything cleaned up and new fuel mixed she fired to life on the 5th kick. Let her warm up and took her for a spin. After everything checking out I got on her some. She pulls strong in every gear but breaks up real bad if you try to run it out. If you “sort shift” she pulls like a train through all the gears. I was reading some stuff on here last night and see where if you get compression above 200ish, and depending on porting, you create a torque monster that does not rev out like a stock one. At first I thought, before reading, that something is wrong. Now I am inclined to think that it was built as a torque machine for hill climbs. Please let me know what you all think. Any help identifying the type of parts would be great! Also forgot to mention jets are 150/55 I do believe. She said the 110 was what he always ran in it but I was not sure to go leaded or unleaded, I got leaded. Thanks guys and man oh man did it feel so good to be back on an R.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks! I am not against changing the jetting. Just trying to learn about the current set up and try to reverse engineer what he did. Looking at some pictures it does look like a different carburetor on it. The one I found in a box looks to be the original. If it is a bigger carburetor, you think the jets still should be bigger? I attached a pic of the one I found in a box.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.