Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay...
I'm new here, i just made this account because i have some questions. I started on a blaster 200... after that i bought a kawasaki kfx400. A week ago i drove my friends banshee again and i realised that i miss 2stroke! i miss the raw sound and powerband. so i wanted a 2stroke quad again that is MORE powerfull then a blaster 200. So i ended up finding a trx250r in my budget (the only one on the internet in my country lol).
Performance: is it more like a blaster 200 or more like a banshee 350? i've seen video's where it beats raptor 700's pretty nice!
Maintenance: i guess it drinks alot of fuel but the real question: does it require alot of maintenance? like a 450cc quad (or more)? or is it more like a raptor 700 or blaster 200?
the trx250r where i'm looking at seems to be race readdy so maybe this one will require even more maintance? please give me some info (mainly about maintance).
if you have other things to tell me that you think I should know: feel free to do so!
Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
1,000 Posts
welcome to the site!

well, it outhandles all the above stated machines. its about the same weight as a blaster with liquid cooling and double the power.

maintenance is easy. have it jetted right, keep an eye on the electricals and change a piston when the time comes. also, a leak down test once a season is a good idea. but that goes for all engines.

john

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Basic maintenance. Keep the jeting in line and you shouldnt have any issues.. I usually would put 40+ hours on a mild motor... On a full out race motor i usually try to get 20 hours out of them.. But other than that, they are pretty simple maintenace wise.. Make sure bolts are tight, lube chain. ECT.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay, thanks for the quick reply! i can only imagine how fast it is (acceleration, top speed is about 65 mph? or 105-110 kmh? )
change the piston when the time comes... is that like every 40 hours or so? and what about parts when something is broken? are they expensive and rare? because my friend with the banshee says it might require alot of maintance, even more then his banshee!

·
Registered
569 Posts
welcome to the site!

well, it outhandles all the above stated machines. its about the same weight as a blaster with liquid cooling and double the power.

maintenance is easy. have it jetted right, keep an eye on the electricals and change a piston when the time comes. also, a leak down test once a season is a good idea. but that goes for all engines.

john
I agree with jcs003. It won't have the same power as a banshee, but it can be close. However, a banshee will never be as agile or nimble as a 250R. The maintenance is going to the the easiest you will find for any quad out there. But because 250R have been around for quite a few years, chances are any one you will may need a little updating, bushings, electrical components, etc. It is still one of the most reliable quads you can find, especially if you still have the stock jug.

·
Registered
569 Posts
okay, thanks for the quick reply! i can only imagine how fast it is (acceleration, top speed is about 65 mph? or 105-110 kmh? )
change the piston when the time comes... is that like every 40 hours or so? and what about parts when something is broken? are they expensive and rare? because my friend with the banshee says it might require alot of maintance, even more then his banshee!
A stock 250R with stock gearing is probably around 65mph. More important than the hours actually used is the actual compression that you are getting from the engine. When the compression gets too low is when it is time to do some additional maintenance. I think your banshee friend is mistaken. A banshee has two of everything, coils, cylinder sleeves, pistons, carbs, reeds,etc. By logic alone would tell you the maintenance on something like that would be more costly.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Your friend is lying...lol

A compression test will ultimately tell if you need a piston change. All the common parts like piston/rings are as easy as any other bike to find. Other parts that are rarely replaced, such as case halves, are discontinued and harder to find.

Top speed depends on how healthy your motor is, and what sprocket gearing you are running

Your 250r will handle 10x better than the Banshee...which handles like a wheelbarrow

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okay could be, but he's banshee is kinda built for track i guess... its just, GOD its amazing :D
But i wanne thank all of you, im amazed how quickly you guys helped me out!
im just afraid that a trx250r requires a new piston, pretty quick -> and thats expensive :( im convinced its powerfull / fast enough though :) but try to understand: i come from a blaster and a kfx400, those require nearly zero maintenance :)
Im getting excited about it: i can imagine kicking the rear end out in 4th gear, EASY!

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
A compression test will ultimately tell if you need a piston change. All the common parts like piston/rings are as easy as any other bike to find.
I should have added this to my reply. it is correct. Ultimately you just need to replace the piston/rings when he compression starts to fall off. But if it makes it to 40+ hours i generally change the piston rings, because the piston can fatigue and break.. I have had that happen a few times.

·
Registered
569 Posts
A 250R is not going to require a new piston any sooner that a banshee or a blaster. With that said, how long a piston and rings will last really depends on how you ride it. Can you give any more details on what you actually want to do with it? In reality, about the only thing a banshee does better than an R is drag racing, (obviously, there are exceptions). But in the woods or a motocross track, you will not find a better handling quad than and R and you won't find a 2 stroke quad with more power per cylinder than an R. Banshees are like alligators on land. They are only fast in a straight line. And don't misunderstand, I do like banshees also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What i'm planning with it: I take it out on the road for short drives (up to 20 minutes max) to get to places. mostly to get to a field where i can ride! we like to make little tracks in fields and then drive on the road from field to field. jumps are rarely taken, because i have never gone to an official track (YET) where they have jumps. so its a mix off road-use and off-road use... i start to doubt if thats healthy since its obviously a racer.
What do I expect from it: to be fast enough to keep up with my buddy driving on his banshee or 450. The blaster was a bit too slow, the kfx 400 keeps up nicely! so i expect the trx250 to do so too, i just hope it can hang on to speeds for a while... like 55 mph! i think we average 45-50 mph

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, a week later I still haven't decided what I would do... I mean: i'm starting to think that a trx250r with only a ct exhaust and filter isn't ANY faster then my kfx 400 with hotcams, filter and full yoshimura... I think the kfx reaches 62 mph WAY faster and costs less to ride it too! And I don't really mind the costs, because the trx250r is just a legendary dream-machine but I DO want it to accelerate faster from 0-62
However: Both the kfx 400 and trx250r that i'm looking at put out around 35-40 Horsepower I think! The 250R is 2stroke AND lighter but the kfx has more torque... I'm just not quite sure that the trx is any faster in the condition it is (pipe and filter only)...

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
when the kfx breaks down thats were the difference is in cost engine repairs. the r will cost less to repair

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah, you're completely right, and i'm having the feeling my kfx is about to break something...bad :L
However it's not really about the costs here, i'm worried about performance... I don't feel like buying this piece of history (in a GOOD way) if it will be slower then my current atv.
I'm having trouble believing it's going to be faster with only pipe and filter, simply because of video's on youtube.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts