Honda TRX250R Forums banner

need opinions!

3K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  pantera1975 
#1 ·
So I just got my bike back from the shop (top end rebuild) and the top head gasket leaks water when I get it it good and warmed up! When I took it back to the shop he said "it has no head gasket because he was unable to find the correct size" so he just put copper gasket maker in place of gaskek! Does that sound ok? I'm still not very familiar with the correct engine terms as I am new to the 250r, he says it is stock cylinder with 71mm bore and fresh port work, he said its just under 300cc so does that mean it has a 310 kit? He also said that my stock cylinder is bored to the Max so that means no 310 kit, right?
Does any of this sound right?
Where can I get gasket?
Can I just keep riding with the leak?
Any help is much appreciated,

When I ordered the piston from wiesco website using the part number he gave me it was listed as piston for a 82-85 Suzuki RM 250! Huh?????

#2 ·
OEM cylinder with a BB sleeve starts at 72MM, not 71MM...no 71MM pistons specifically made for BB 72MM sleeves, now the BB sleeves do come undersized enough to run a 71MM piston, however; the question is why?

Everything sounds wrong IMO...you need to run a head gasket or o-rings, you can not run Aluminum to Aluminum surfaces and expect them to seal, even if lapped flat or with Gasket Maker is not the answer. Make sure the cylinder & head are flat (very important with BB's on OEM cylinders or they will leak even with a head gasket). Get the porper head gasket in place...

Carlos

#5 ·
This will sound rude but there's just no polite way to tell you to find yourself a different mechanic.
Unable to find the correct gasket? Not even remotely believable.
I would've said, "I don't give a damn if you used freaking Hostess Ho Ho's - fix it and fix it right."
or
I would've asked for a partial refund.

A stock cylinder should (Carlos correct me if I'm mistaken) simply take a copper CR250 head gasket whihc was a cheater way back in the day to squeeze a little more juice out of the top.

#6 ·
First determine what is the actual bore size, if it is at 71MM, look at Cometic Gaskets and see if they still offer the BB 72MM metal gasket (will work with a 71MM piston), you can also get as Deadly suggested the CR250R gasket and open the ID to 71MM.

If all fails, look for another builder as suggested locally first, if no luck; we stock the Copper Gaskets in 66-73.50MM Bores...call the shop if needed.

Carlos

#7 ·
After talking to him again, my bike will never be in his shop again, he just told me to "figure it out, find the gasket myself then repay him to put it on" that's not gonna happen I can put on a gasket I'm just worried about getting the right size! He said 71mm but I really don't trust him anymore, do I need special tool to check bore size myself?
This is my first 2 stroke, other people have told me to do the rebuild myself but I was not so sure, next time ill try it.
Can't take pics of old piston because its still at his shop, I am very short tempered person so its not a good idea for me to see him any time soon
wouldn't the leak cause a loss of power/compression? He says no its fine but he is an a$$hole
Thank u all for your help. Even tho I don't have many post I have learned a ton from everyone here

#8 ·
Very sorry for your troubles, not good for anyone to experience these types of issues, we need more 250R users, not less. IMO you need to get your engine, remove the head and look at the piston top and read the numbers to determine what piston & bore you have. You can also quickly measure the bore with Calipers to help determine size. If you can, find a friend or a small engine-ATV-Motorcycle shop of good repute to assist you locally...

Lot's of good folks here to help you out, just post pictures and as much information as you can, and we will try to guide you through as best as possible.

Carlos.

#13 ·
geez louise, thatd definitely be the last time that guy touches any engine of mine. And i'd definitely spread the word to everyone else to not go to him. you've come to the right place though! Alot of 250r minds on here, and you could rebuild the top and bottom end by just reading threads on here. not to mention there is a section with a manual you can download. with being new to the 250r, and 2 strokes in general, id say go ahead and download it, and that will nearly guide you step by step.
welcome man

#16 · (Edited)
So i just put it back together with the gasket that was there after cleaning off the copper gasket maker just as a temporary fix until i can get a new gasket and after 45min of hard riding back and forth on the road the leak is GONE! I will keep a close eye on it and order the gasket just incase it ever leaks again but I actually think I fixed it. Thanks to everyone here of course, before this forum I would have never taken the head off of any kind of motor, I have learned so much from here and I'm sure I will continue to learn more for a very long time!

Thank you all! THIS FORUM IS AWESOME

And my bike will never go to that shop again

#18 ·
As mu h as i like go keep things local i got screwed and almost decides to just part out my r's. I had a real good builder do my motor. I ended up sending it to carlos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.