Honda TRX250R Forums banner

Need help with carb tuning

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  acecarlos 
#1 ·
Just took the jets off of my 88 trx250r, she was bogging in 1st and 2nd, then every other gear pulled flawlessly, recently bored the jug and went from a 66.5mm piston to a 68mm piston, the clip is on the 2nd position (for my elevation) I have a 152 main and a 42 pilot, I believe it's my pilot jet, my mind tells me go up a size, because it's a bigger motor, am I right? My elevation is 100ft from sea level and I run 40:1 castor 927 with non ethanol gas, the carb is a 36mm kiehin

#2 ·
If everything remained equal except the over bore I suspect the over bore would not be enough of a change to go from running great to running so lean it “boggs” now. (That’s not to say you don’t need a bigger pilot but I don’t think an over bore all by itself would have that significant of an effect on pilot size) I suspect your pilot jet is plugged. The simplest way to eliminate things As problems is to start with a brand new pilot, same size as current set up, and see what happens. I have had countless pilot jets that look good but are plugged in some fashion.

This will give you a baseline to start adjusting things. While you are at the store buy the next 5 jets in size.

If the new 42 does the exact same thing as the old, jump a size or two and reevaluate did the bigger pilot make it better?

Also, make sure your airscrew starts at a base line position usually 1.5-2 turns out. Don’t mess with the air screw until you have it “close” with the correct pilot.

For me the most important thing is start from a known position and only change 1 variable at a time. It’s the only way I can deduce what helped and what didn’t. If moving up in pilot does not change the problem, then you Likely have a different problem.

#3 ·
If everything remained equal except the over bore I suspect the over bore would not be enough of a change to go from running great to running so lean it “boggs” now. (That’s not to say you don’t need a bigger pilot but I don’t think an over bore all by itself would have that significant of an effect on pilot size) I suspect your pilot jet is plugged. The simplest way to eliminate things As problems is to start with a brand new pilot, same size as current set up, and see what happens. I have had countless pilot jets that look good but are plugged in some fashion.

This will give you a baseline to start adjusting things. While you are at the store buy the next 5 jets in size.

If the new 42 does the exact same thing as the old, jump a size or two and reevaluate did the bigger pilot make it better?

Also, make sure your airscrew starts at a base line position usually 1.5-2 turns out. Don’t mess with the air screw until you have it “close” with the correct pilot.

For me the most important thing is start from a known position and only change 1 variable at a time. It’s the only way I can deduce what helped and what didn’t. If moving up in pilot does not change the problem, then you Likely have a different problem.
Okay, I'll try a new pilot jet, I just got my jets in today, and I have 10 pilots and 10 mains just in case, there all genuine kiehin jets so fingers crossed it's just a plugged jet, the air screw is 1.5 turns out and I believe the idle is 2 1/4

#4 ·
IMO; way to lean on idle to 1/2 throttle...will be most noticeable in the circuits you detailed. Below is closer jetting per your description at basicly Sea Level, Try:

158-166 Main (I would start at 160)
46-50 Pilot (I would start at 48)
3rd Clip on Needle (DGH)
#6 Slide (Important to be a #5 or #6 for a 250R)
1 1/2 at AS
2 1/4 at BPS

Carlos

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.