Honda TRX250R Forums banner
161 - 180 of 184 Posts

· Super Moderator
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
It’s really coming together! And you’re getting so close😊

The exhaust fitment can be a pain, but usually not that bad. Using the exhaust hangers in different orientations with the addition of spacers/washers as needed usually does the trick. It’s common for those aftermarket coolant hoses to be too long, especially the one from the case to the cylinder. You may have to cut some off from either or both ends of the hose to get it so it doesn’t touch the pipe.

I’ve never had any issues with the Motion Pro cables. Maybe try lubing it?

Just curious, any word from Motowoz on your shocks? My rear is supposedly going to ship today… 5 months later.
Yeah getting close now all the little stuff that takes time it’s amazing how many little things I had to modify. The exhaust almost fit without mod but the head pipe did not fit on the O rings straight but does now. I had trimmed the hoses as much as I could before the exhaust mod
I’ll try lubing the cable, you’d think a new cable would be good to go.
I ordered my shocks July 19th and was told 3 months. nov 23 I was told he pulled my order and was going to start building them the week of nov 28. Still waiting… hope these are worth the wait and money.
also still waiting on rath nerf gaurds.

· Super Moderator
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Looking good. Sounds like the exhaust install was a pita. Did you remove the right side an arms or drop them down?

Hope the rest goes smooth
No I didn’t have to drop them. Biggest issue was with that muffler on it would cause the header pipe to be in a bind off the cylinder and contact my coolent hose to cylinder but now it’s all straight.

· Registered
549 Posts
My R had that same Answer silencer when I got it back in 1988... Not all silencers & pipes fit together nicely. The bend angle of the silencer & pipe stingers between brands can vary some. I tried putting an LRD silencer on an R with a CT mid range pipe & the angle of the bends were so far off I would've needed a 3" spacer between the frame & silencer mount. That same LRD silencer fit just fine on a PT pipe.

· Super Moderator
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bicycle tire Automotive design

everybody like my custom intake? So easy to do, remove air filter box cut an old shirt, install a rubber band to hold it then oil it some I think it’ll work well in sand haha but in all seriousness I was very pissed at my self for not considering a short body carb will not work with stock air box specifically the boot will not reach box. Want to run some kind of box to protect better if I ride through puddles. So any suggestions appreciated. When I have more time I’ll sit down to see what can be done.
But the motor fired second kick! Runs great, it’s charging my battery and electric fan kicking on and cooling it off to the temp I set.

· Super Moderator
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
Also did the 89 clutch mod to take up like 1/2 of free play or more in the clutch arm but after I installed it I still had the same amount of free play on the arm. So I don’t recommend what I did but I think it’ll work fine. I got 1/16 steel and made a small spacer to fit inside the bottom where the push rod goes and that fixed my free play. I now have maybe 1/8 of clutch arm free play.
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Grey Wood

· Super Moderator
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
Ah, bummer. A reed spacer is what I was thinking, but that’s a pretty big gap. There’s not a lot of great options aside from figuring out some sort of custom setup/modifications to make what you have work, unfortunately.
Yeah I’m thinking of extending my boot or making the box sit closer or buy a BDT/LED style intake and make a splash shield.

· Super Moderator
817 Posts
Very nice! It looks like it will definitely work. I’m curious to see how you end up making the splash shield. You’ll also want to add some way to mount/secure the intake to the frame.

· Super Moderator
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
Very nice! It looks like it will definitely work. I’m curious to see how you end up making the splash shield. You’ll also want to add some way to mount/secure the intake to the frame.
Yup it will be secured on a stock bolt hole on the frame. Will be really easy to do. Splash shield I have ideas but nothing I’m really liking. Thought about a small type frame and use rubber for the shield or making something similar to stock but not a complete box. I just need something that will shield it from the sides and bottom mainly.

· Super Moderator
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
This is what I’m coming up with for a splash shield. Open on top and back. Made out of 22 gauge steel very tight fit (wish I had a tig welder for aluminum) it’s not done I still need to tweak it, clean it up and add a hold down bracket. I’m thinking this will keep most water from splashing on filter. Thoughts?
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Fender

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

· Super Moderator
817 Posts
Your custom airbox is coming together nicely! I wish I had the equipment and skills for metal fabrication like you have. It looks like it’ll definitely work and help as a splash guard, but it all depends on how much mud/water you’ll see riding. I’d think boxing in the end would further help protect the filter and I imagine add a little rigidity to the overall box, too. I’d recommend adding an Outerwear to the filter, no matter what your final design ends up being. There are Outerwears available that use a water repellent material as well.

· Super Moderator
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
Your custom airbox is coming together nicely! I wish I had the equipment and skills for metal fabrication like you have. It looks like it’ll definitely work and help as a splash guard, but it all depends on how much mud/water you’ll see riding. I’d think boxing in the end would further help protect the filter and I imagine add a little rigidity to the overall box, too. I’d recommend adding an Outerwear to the filter, no matter what your final design ends up being. There are Outerwears available that use a water repellent material as well.
Thankyou! I wasent sure it was going to fit with the big filter so I bent everything by hand haha now that it does I need to clean it up. I don’t really see much water but it all depends. I might box the back or see how this will work. I do plan to get an outerwear’s though.

161 - 180 of 184 Posts